What's new

Going to be moving to Hawaii, any suggestions or tips?

IPH

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
My wife earned a promotion that will move her and I to the Big Island of Hawaii, Kona specifically, at the end of this April. It will definitely be an adventure for us and we are both excited but I would love to get any input from the BOTLs/SOTLs on the islands about any suggestions, warnings or just general thoughts about living life there. Moving from New Hampshire to Hawaii I suspect will provide a bit of culture shock. The nice thing is that her company will be providing housing so a big concern has been removed from the equation. Thanks for taking the time to read this and offer any input you might have.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I went on vacation to Kauai. Ill tell you what. You may never want to come back. Ever. I didnt and I wasnt even on the island that is the bustling city. It was beautiful and so laid back.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Have a great time man, I sure miss living in Hawaii!

One word of advice, Costco. :)

Costco
73-5600 Maiau St
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

What type of work will you be doing? Or looking for a basic job once you're there? I lived on Oahu so the job market there is a lot different than Kona so not sure I can give any advice. Do you like sushi / raw fish? If so, you need to find a good place that sells poke... that's one of the things I miss most about living in Hawaii, the abundance of poke! lol

Have fun!

IPH

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Thanks AlohaStyle, we're going to be very close to that Costco and already plan on going there for essentials, plus gas. Regarding work, I will be able to keep my current job and be able to work remotely, starting at 6am until about 2-3pm Hawaii time.

Huge fan of sushi /sashimi and also very interested in exploring the farmers market on Saturdays!

Thanks again!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Well that's great you get to work remotely... the locals don't take kindly to the haole's coming over and taking their jobs. But Kona has a lot of haole's anyway... lol

Enjoy the poke, farmers markets, kona coffee, kona brewery, golf and snorkeling. If you are a golfer, you will be amazed at how much cheaper the "kamaaina" rate is compared to the tourist rate. Not sure how the Big Island is set up, but on Oahu I got a golf card to prove I was local (kamaaina) which allows you to get the huge discounts.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
two words
Paka (tobacco) Lolo (crazy) :)

yeah but after awhile , the whole beauty and awesomeness fades & island fever sets in i.e. only so much to do.
so stateside trips are fun to look forward to.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
two words
Paka (tobacco) Lolo (crazy) :)

yeah but after awhile , the whole beauty and awesomeness fades & island fever sets in i.e. only so much to do.
so stateside trips are fun to look forward to.
LOL with the first comment. But shut yo mouth on the last part... I sure miss living there and would go back in a heartbeat... only reason I left is my wife wanted to be closer to family and dragged me away kicking and screaming. lol

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I've been to Kailua-Kona a few times, and like the pace of life much better than when I visit the inlaws on O'ahu and Maui. There is this local market down the hill from Costco and they have loads of good local foods cheaper than Safeway, and rivaling Costco

Kta Superstore
74-5594 Palani Rd, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

Good luck!

IPH

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Thanks Sean, I'll keep an eye out for that.

Ryan, not sure how the wife would feel about the time share but I'm sure I could work something out... ;)

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I've been to Kona as well and loved it there, went for work for 3 weeks and didn't want to come back. I've also been to Maui for my honeymoon and after that second trip I was convinced that I will live there someday. I'm hoping in within the next 8 years or so.

Good luck and enjoy yourself out there.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Congrats to your wife on the promotion! Culture shock is right. As a fellow New Hampshire resident I envy you! Best of luck.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Yeah, have you been out there yet? It gets humid... as humid as New Jersey... with crazier bugs.

The seafood will be a little different. The cops don't drive marked cars in Kona, and most of them are dressed in T-shirts that say "Police" with their issued guns strapped on. Everything has an Asian/Polynesian-influence, from the food to the architecture. Traffic sucks because the roads are narrow, and there will be about 5 different radio stations all playing "Jawaiian" music like this (although these guys are Maori):
[youtube]vIGMZJ5SLUM[/youtube]

The good news is that Spam is everywhere, all but two of the world's climactic regions can be found on the Big Island, you can still snowboard up on Mauna Kea, and the Kona Brewery is DEEEEEEEELISH (brews are better on the island, since all the mainland stuff is contract brewed by Widmer Brothers).

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh yeah....if you can afford one get a motorcycle. When I go there I rent one for the time I'm there and it's by far the best way to get around and with the gas as expensive as it is you will not only save money but get a great tan. The Big Island has a lot of things to look at and you will love it there because it is bigger than the others. It can feel claustrophobic at times but that is why there are the other islands to play in and around. If you go to Maui you have to visit The Gazebo...best breakfast ever so use your Google Map... Napili Shores.

Most of the islands have a Costco so use and abuse the store and get supplied. Not sure how much you intend to move there...might be a better deal to lease a car instead of shipping it there if you can..hopefully your wife and her Company will help you with that. Sounds like you two are living the dream by moving there...enjoy it.