What's new

Going to retry pipes

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Many years ago I smoked a Graybow and Captain Black for a time. I want to try some better blends and get to know what a pipe is all about. My first purchase is this meerschaum

I also have a briar that was given to me by an aunt that yer husband smoked when he was alive.

I have tried to find out if the meer needs rest like a briar does but have not been able to. Also is there anything I need to do for the meer break in?
Thank guys and look forward to learning from the best.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From what I've read they don't need a break in. The other thing is after your done smoking you need to swab out the bowl to prevent cake build up. Cake build up in a meer can cause it to crack. Good luck with the new pipe!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From what I've read they don't need a break in. The other thing is after your done smoking you need to swab out the bowl to prevent cake build up. Cake build up in a meer can cause it to crack. Good luck with the new pipe!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't know about meers but I just broke in 2 unsmoked 1970's Hiebe German pipes. That looks like a great meer and I want to get one.

Check You Tube and the internet and you will find what you are looking for. That is how I figured out breaking in those two briars so I did it right. Enjoy!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
I have a small collection of pipes that used to belong to my uncle.
About 2 years or so ago, I had them cleaned up, and went to the local pipe shop to learn more about blends, etc.
I also read up a lot (here and other sites) so I'd be as prepared as possible to really give this a shot!
The weird thing was, I got the same, unpleasant finish on ALL of the three, different blends I smoked. I also used 2 different pipes, so I don't think it was being caused by the pipe.
Every time I see the pipes on top of my humi, I want to give them another try.

Anyway, let us know how it goes!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided today that I would also return to pipe smoking. When I first started I couldn't get the hang of packing the bowl and was very ignorant as to how to smoke it properly. After much frustration I took up cigar smoking instead. However the pipes the pipes are calling and i'm ready to give it another shot.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I decided today that I would also return to pipe smoking. When I first started I couldn't get the hang of packing the bowl and was very ignorant as to how to smoke it properly. After much frustration I took up cigar smoking instead. However the pipes the pipes are calling and i'm ready to give it another shot.
I had the same problem with packing when I started. I finally came across "the Frank Method" for pipe packing and have been enjoying smoking a pipe since. Pipes certainly demand a bit more of you as far as the set up and then eventually the cleanup but it's worth it.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I tried a pipe about 3 years ago, and have been itching to get it back out. My top drawer still smells great. Trouble is, i never really got the hang of it, but loved it when it went well.

Here goes some research... And any suggestions are appreciated

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
start off with a relatively mild virginia or english... and stay away from the aromatics.. youll get less tongue bite, better flavors, creamier smoke, etc..

you can always step up to something with heavier nic, more latakia, etc.. once you get the hang of things..

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I'm right there with you guys. Been 25 years for me and so I'm completely lost but I think it's going to be fun getting back into it. At least now that I'm older and have the patience for a pipe.

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
OK, so tell me what you guys think. Mdwest, I am not really sure if this falls within your reccomendation. If not steer me right again. Pics a little later..

Frog Morton's Cellar Reserve
Peterson Luxury Blend
Ounce of what I was told was a McClellan's coffee (aromatic)
Ounce of some sort of flake. Pretty good

The cool thing is that for the price of a cigar, you can get a tin of what seems to bee quality pipe tobacco for the price of 1 cigar.

Let me know how I did...

Phil

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Frog Morton is excellent stuff... Hard to go wrong with anything Peterson or macclellan as well...

As long as they suit your taste... I think you did great...

Your right about costs too...

I can buy 2 tins for roughly the same cost of 2 good cigars... And keep my pipe packed all month....

Truthfully I still prefer sticks abou 90% of the time... Pipes are just a good change of pace for me from time to time... I probably only go through 3-4x tins a year... And maybe an ounce or two of house blends from the B&M...

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanks, the only thing I had to go on was my own nose...

I too am not giving up my sticks... just a change of pace smoke as well as a smoke that is more enjoyable to the nonsmokers around me... everyone I have heard loves the aroma of pipe tobacco.

Phil

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
A friend of mine took up pipes early this year and now owns three Dunhills and a Castello-- Briars all, I think they're a straight billiard, a bent billiard, a Dublin and a church warden (which is fun to watch him smoke). His whole mishigas has involved breaking them in. He claims it takes 30 bowls smoked in order to build up the cake necessary to ensure a great smoke going forward. He gets all his information from his tobacconist at Iwan Ries in Chicago. I don't know--- I watch him tinker so much with his pipe during these smoking sessions, I can't help but wonder if he's totally overthinking his process. And he claims to be committed to bringing me over to his side! I don't see it happening...

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I've read a whole lot of people referring to the cake, but don't know if mine has it and I haven't smoked much since I out it away 3 years ago. Think I should start all over, clean it and just start from scratch?

Is there a good thread or link on getting the proper cake?

Phil

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I got really hooked into pipes. Personally id get a savinelli 320 about 60$ and is a really nice easy pipe to smoke. Large bowl, thick so it keeps nice and cool. Don't try flake at first. Try dunhills night cap. Its a stronger flavor and has a good nic hit

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2