What's new

Going to the drive-in

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
If I am feeling better tomorrow I am taking the wife to the drive in.
She wants to see Amityville horror. So since it is her birthday that is what is gonna happen. :headroll: :headroll:

I know there are a shrinking number of this once popular american icon scattered around the country.

My question is, How many here have a drive in near them? And do you go there? and if so how often?

This will be our second time this year, we were there the opening night last month.
http://www.27drivein.com
:headroll: :headroll:

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I don't know of any near me. It's a shame they've been fading from popularity. I have fond memories of Dad taking the whole family to the drive-in when I was small. I remember eating a bunch of popcorn and then rolling up in a blanket under the rear window on the "shelf" above the back seats of the Dad's old Chevy Impala and falling asleep before I saw much of the movie. It didn't matter that I missed most of the movie, I just loved going there.
They were mostly gone by the time I was a teenager so I unfortunately missed out on taking dates to the drive-in. We had to settle for parking on back roads. Though I did have a transistor TV for awhile that would plug in to the AC lighter. I set it on the hood once and my girl and I hopped into the back seat to watch some made for TV horror flick. Missed most of that movie too!!

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The one here in town has two screens and is only opened on Fri, Sat,Sun nights. 5 bucks per person and shows current movies. I like going there better than the theatre. Except for films with lots of visual effects where the drive in is a little blurry.

It is a family owned business and the guy that owns it is a real carnival barker type guy when it come to selling the popcorn and pizza and hot dogs at intermission. He is very intertaining.

Great place to take the family or we sometimes get several vehicles together and go with 15 or more.

PLUS IT IS SMOKER FRIENDLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
John they are definitely a dieing breed. I still remember going the drive-in with my mom and aunt. All of us piled into the family station wagon. We would have all of our sleeping bags and we would lay them out on the roof of the car and crash up there. As I recall the first flick was a kid’s flick and the later movie was a PG movie for the adults. I think I saw Big Bad Mama with Angie Dickinson and William Shatner at a drive-in. Enjoy it while it is still there. I think that the closest one to us is in Indiana.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
John, we have one right here in Parma, Id. A small town of about 5000.

We go occasionally. They play current movies. The best is to go in the pick-up on a warm summer's evening, park it backwards, and sit in the bed with a couple of beach chairs. Portable boom box for sound. A couple of beers, a good cigar, and a movie under the stars...Great fun! There is also one in Nampa, about 23 miles from here, but the Parma Motor-vu is only 6 miles away, down mostly country roads.

Parma Motor-Vu

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are lucky enough to have a drive In In my town. It kicks ass. I can sit there In my convertable, hold my wife, enjoy a Habano, and watch two movies for $8.00. Can't beat It.

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We have one we go to at least once a year. It has two screens and always shows double features on both screens and always current movies. Lots of other things to do there besides watching the movie. They have Miniture golf and a game room so there is somthing for everyone.

smokinafuente

This space for rent.
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Martinsburg, WV ...Home of the Martinsburg Mafia.
windowrx said:
I don't know of any near me.
Your in luck! The one we hit a few time each year is The Family Drive-in on Rt. 11 near Stephens City and it's only about 1/2 an hour from you. I like to take the night off from work and go on a week night (after they start the Summer hours) There might be 7 or 8 spaces between you and the next car. Great time to take a lawn chair and sit out side with a smoke! Now, it a different story on Fri and Sat. night, the place is packed then.

http://user.shentel.net/ccrkcr/drivein.html

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
smokinafuente said:
Your in luck! The one we hit a few time each year is The Family Drive-in on Rt. 11 near Stephens City and it's only about 1/2 an hour from you. I like to take the night off from work and go on a week night (after they start the Summer hours) There might be 7 or 8 spaces between you and the next car. Great time to take a lawn chair and sit out side with a smoke! Now, it a different story on Fri and Sat. night, the place is packed then.

http://user.shentel.net/ccrkcr/drivein.html
Cool! Thanks!

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have never been to a drive in... i know that we have one pretty close but i have never been.... i actually plan on going sometime this summer.....

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Had a great time.
Amityville horror was a good movie.
The crowd was large. Had the whole family there.
But the stomach problems continue so I had to cut it short and miss the second movie.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think the last Drive-In anywhere close to where I live closed down when I was about 13 or 14. I do remember my parents taking us kids there to see some of the Muppet movies and Star Wars Episode VI (as it is now being referred to).