What's new

Gold anyone in on it?

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I think gold has gone up because lots of people think it's safer than the stock market right now, but the same people who jumped into gold and drove the market up, will bail as soon as they think the stock market is on the way up again. Supply and Demand IMO will drive prices down. I'm fairly sure historicly Gold is one of the things that spike with stock market declines, but I'd check that out for yourself. My .02

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I've been lucky enough to find a numusmatic guy close and I can purchase 1 oz silver and gold bullion very discreetly.

If you want his name and number, let me know. I met him at a gun show and he had probably 200 - 1oz gold coins and at least the same number of liberty silver dollars (1oz silver).

He also had about 20 $1000 bills. I've seen the $500, but never the $1000. Not that i would buy one...it's just paper. but still pretty neat to see. Too bad he'll be wiping his butt with them if he doenst' sell them in time.
$500 & $1000 bills have a collectors premium. whenever one gets deposited in a bank it is sent to Federal Reserve & destroyed. So for collectors they are valuable, as currency, still just paper.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yet to get in on this, but might next semester for I've been reading a load on it. Any tips from the Brothers?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Looking for a pull back to buy. Maybe around the 800-900 area. Not advice but what I'm thinking. Keeping an eye on India and China.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought over 2 years ago in June when gold was about $670 and now its around $1180 or so. Every once in awhile I do something right.

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Dave Ramsey said it best: when Katrina hit, it wasn't money and gold that were worth alot. Walk around with a case of bottle water or food and see how much more people want it.

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
expecially since gold and silver were in a channel state where they didn't go up or down much.
Silver was between 4-5$ an oz and then shot up I wish I had more invested.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Why? Do you think we are going to go to a gold tradable society?
Why? Massive deficits & devaluation of the dollar. Most of my gold was bought between $250 & $350 an ounce. At $1200, that a nice profit. Safer than the stock market. Gold may go down, but will never be worthless, like Enron or various other stocks.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Why? Massive deficits & devaluation of the dollar. Most of my gold was bought between $250 & $350 an ounce. At $1200, that a nice profit. Safer than the stock market. Gold may go down, but will never be worthless, like Enron or various other stocks.

Profit? only if you sale it. Just like most other things, it may sale for $1200, however, you can not sale it for that.

Worth? So you have not sold it? You just hold on to it, in hopes..... that the fiat monetary system the world employs will collapse? Then what, what will the gold be worth? I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to understand the logic. I think I highly tradable skill would benefit more than a lb of gold. Isn't the value of gold based on the same monetary system? If it collapses, what give gold it's worth? So, I trade you a loaf of bread for a silver coin? Could I not just trade that loaf of bread for a gallon of gas? I've been reading on this and I am just looking for direction. You hear about all these people saying a bought gold at $25, $300, blah, blah, blah. Ok, so it is $1200 now, are you now selling it to turn it back into a piece of paper that only derives it's value from the government, not on an gold standard? To me, you have only improved you wealth if you sell it and the system you think will fail, will still support that worth.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Profit? only if you sale it. Just like most other things, it may sale for $1200, however, you can not sale it for that.

Worth? So you have not sold it? You just hold on to it, in hopes..... that the fiat monetary system the world employs will collapse? Then what, what will the gold be worth? I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to understand the logic. I think I highly tradable skill would benefit more than a lb of gold. Isn't the value of gold based on the same monetary system? If it collapses, what give gold it's worth? So, I trade you a loaf of bread for a silver coin? Could I not just trade that loaf of bread for a gallon of gas? I've been reading on this and I am just looking for direction. You hear about all these people saying a bought gold at $25, $300, blah, blah, blah. Ok, so it is $1200 now, are you now selling it to turn it back into a piece of paper that only derives it's value from the government, not on an gold standard? To me, you have only improved you wealth if you sell it and the system you think will fail, will still support that worth.
You're right I can not sale it for $1200, but I can SELL it for $1200 and have indeed sold a couple ounces recently for over $1200. Used it to pay off credit card debt. Interest should be collected, not paid. I'm not saying put all your money in gold, but it's worth having. Certainly has appreciated better than the US stock market over the past several years. It's my emergency fund & not just if the monitary system collapses. Needed unexpected roofing work on my house so put it on the credit card. Rather than paying high CC rates, sold gold at huge profit & paid off CC within the grace period. New roof & no interest paid.