What's new

Gold dust?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, so a question for those of you really familiar with the Dark Side. Ever notice a Gold Dust like sheen on your Cubans? Noticed this on a couple lately. Is this normal?

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yes I have noticed the gold looking dust on some of my cigars also....I have no idea what it is.

Christofer

Helluva Habano Herfer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
All of mine that have the sparkley gold dust also have labels that have gold on
them like RASS, Boli's, ERdM, etc. I believe it just gets rubbed off from the labels
onto the 'gars.

Chris

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Some of my cigars have a very slight sparkly look to them in certain light. I've never noticed it being gold though. It tends to be on my older sticks. I've always figured it was the beginnings of plume.

Christofer

Helluva Habano Herfer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Hmmm...both of the ones I saw it on were Cohibas, so I suppose it could be that as well.
Yup, I just looked and mine too...from the new style labels.

There's plume/bloom, but that's more of a crystalline look.

This is definitely gold flecks.

All of the sticks that have it in my collection feature gold foil/paint/ink
in the labels.

Chris

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I think Chris is right about the gold flecks coming from the label. I've seen it mostly on Ramon allones, VR and Bolivar...so does this mean I actually do smoke the band?! :rolling:

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
1f1fan said:
...so does this mean I actually do smoke the band?! :rolling:
Hey Paul now just where are those manners from Zino ...I guess if you need your cigar to change flavors, smoking the band will sure do that :razz:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gold flecks are from the bands. It's excess dust that has not adhered to the bands during the printing process.

WarriorPro

Partagas Addicted
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
the nub said:
The gold flecks are from the bands. It's excess dust that has not adhered to the bands during the printing process.
Exacto...

The worst case of this I've seen was on a box of fake EL's. The limitada bands were so crappy you could see a solid sheen of gold running down many of the cigars. Same thing happens on real EL's but to a much lesser extent..

Never really seen it on regular production smokes...but haven't looked for it either...

chris12381

Chris
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As cool as the gold rubbing off of the labels, the only cooler is when the gold begins to oxidize and turn green like copper... :thumbsup: :smile:

Chris

Christofer

Helluva Habano Herfer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
chris12381 said:
As cool as the gold rubbing off of the labels, the only cooler is when the gold begins to oxidize and turn green like copper... :thumbsup: :smile:

Chris
Oh, is that what we're calling mold now? :skew:

Chris