What's new

golf ball suggestion, please

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
My brother in law is a fairly avid golfer, and I would like to get him some GOOD golf balls at a GOOD price, and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on brand and/or retailer.

I am pretty sure a lot depends on personal choice, style of play, etc....I'm sure he will be happy with anything as long as it is a decent brand.

Thanks in advance!

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Titleist pro V1x. It's the most popular premium ball. Around $55/dozen pretty much anywhere.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You are right. Golf ball selection is personal for a lot of people. Titlelist Pro V1 or V1x balls tend to be the choice of many good players. If for some reason a person doesn't like them then they have a high residual "trade" value. They tend to run about $48/dozen. Pretty steep in my opinion....but what do I know? I play with just about any ball.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Srixon Z Stars on sale most places for 29 right now, they're fantastic IMHO. Sounds like they'd suit him well. Every bit as good, if not better, than a pv IMHO.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
It really does depend on his abilities. You can't go wrong with Pro-V1. $40 is about as cheap as you can get new. I buy all mine from golf ball nut. If you get the mint condition, you can't tell the difference. They were having a Black Friday sale this week but not sure now. For a gift, better go brand new.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0

Just got this email from golfball nut. You will not find them cheaper than this ever and unless he is upper elite he will not care. A very discerning friend of mine buys his here. I would rather have three times as many than the original packaging. But you know him best so you decide.

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Best deal is to go to Lostgolfballs and buy him a bucket of 50, AAAAA graded golf balls. You can probably ship it to him directly. Just look for some quality 3 or 4 piece golf balls and I'm sure he will be happy. I enjoy using the Titleist Pro Vs, Srixon Z-Stars and Nike RZN.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I played a lot of golf the type of ball I looked for was something that was tailored for the kind of game I played. My handicap was about a 5 and I learned that most manufacturers had a good product and paying more than $20 for a dozen wasn't a smart thing as a good Titleist or equivalent didn't change my game at all. When you factor in losing them...cutting them up or everything else it you can do to a golf ball it didn't make sense to play a ball that is for Pros....they are the ones who play the expensive product because...they are Pros who can do crazy things with golf balls

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
When I played a lot of golf the type of ball I looked for was something that was tailored for the kind of game I played. My handicap was about a 5 and I learned that most manufacturers had a good product and paying more than $20 for a dozen wasn't a smart thing as a good Titleist or equivalent didn't change my game at all. When you factor in losing them...cutting them up or everything else it you can do to a golf ball it didn't make sense to play a ball that is for Pros....they are the ones who play the expensive product because...they are Pros who can do crazy things with golf balls
I agree with what your saying whole heatedly. I lose more balls than I care to admit. With that being said, as a gift that the recipient will no doubt be pleased with without a proper fitting, Pro-V are hard to beat. That being said, I don't play them because of the cost. $4 a ball seems a bit steep even though they stop on a dime.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lol...$4 for a golf ball would drive me crazy esp. if I "Don King'd" it in the rough as I'd be out there looking for a full 15 minutes and if it wound up in the drink I'd be donning scuba gear.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Im all for the 5A from lost golf balls. They're usually LIGHTLY scuffed. LIke hit once into the rough and never found again. If he's a good golfer, then he won't lose em. If he isn't they're cheap. TBH, the closest thing to a prov1 I can find is a pinnacle golds. They're super cheap new. Most people laugh at them, but I can spin em better than V1s but easier to control from the box.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Thanks so much for all of the suggestions, guys....Appreciated!

I kinda fibbed, as I was trolling for info for my Secret Santa, Fairway1 :)

I ended up getting him some tees and a gift card, since the consencous was that personal taste plays a good part in golf ball choice.

Thanks again!