What's new

Good Humidors?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Im just getting into cigars and am wanting to get a humidor, that way I don't have to drive to the shop every time I want to smoke and can get some nicer cigars and save them for special occasions. I'm looking for a humidor that's between 25-50 cigars and preferably glass top. I was wondering if people had any recommendations on good brands? I've been looking a lot on Amazon, Cigars International, Cigars Daily, and a couple other sites; but being so new I find it hard to discern between what's a good deal/price and what's a good brand. Being that I'm buying online, how do I tell what's going to be a quality humidor and which ones may be bad?

For Example, these are 3 of the humidors I've been checking out recently: https://cigarsdaily.com/product/prestige-duke-desktop-humidor-25-50-cigar-capacity/
https://www.jrcigars.com/item/humidors/cigar-humidors/chalet-cherry-glass-25-50ct/3hcgtc
https://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigarfu/humidor-supreme-gangway-humidors/1488790/

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Welcome to the forum Matt B. If you look through the threads I think you'll find a lot of members recommend using Tupperware and Bovedas for small stashes. The humidity is a lot easier to control and if you are like the rest of us your expectations of size will be quickly outgrown. Tupperware is definitely function over form but if you outgrow it you haven't wasted any $s

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I've thought about going the tupperware route, but I honestly think my stash will remain pretty constant for at least 4-5 years (until I finish college & my masters and get out of an apartment), and I like the look of a desktop humidor, so that's why I was wanting to go that route. Plus, I think having a desktop humidor is just a cool thing for if you want to smoke with friends, sort of a way to show off your collection.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I 2nd the tupperware. Throw a Boveda pack in there, and it's maintenance free for a long time. Put pieces of cigar box or orders some cheap scrap pieces of spanish cedar if you want the aroma in there. I made the mistake of spending money on a desktop humi that I quickly outgrew.

That being said, any quality importers, prestige importers, or cuban crafters humidors are going to be roughly the same quality and price point. You will be refilling humidifiers or replacing Boveda pack a lot more often.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
all of those desktops are about the same quality wise so it really comes down to which one you like the look of the most. i've had both quality importers and prestige humis and as long as you have some boveda or beads or what have you then you'll be ok.

make sure you get a digital hygrometer though, the ones that come with those are super unreliable.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get a really good wood humidor, which is a wood box with a Spanish cedar box inside, is expensive. Most of the wood humidors under $300 are not a box in a box. Most have paper thin Spanish cedar glued to the inside of the box. If you buy a quality wood humidor you are going to start at $500 and go from there. You might get lucky if you monitor Craigslist and a custom built humidor for under $300. I just happened to do that with a handmade custom humidor that originally cost the original buyer about $600 and I got it for under $300. So I have a very nice display humidor that I can keep a variety of cigars handy.

For the money of a quality wood humidor you can buy a lot of Tupperware or even a wineador or two depending if you get custom drawers and trays.

Pennywise827

Hot Ketchup
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, then this place happened. I refuse to post pics of mine in fear of someone feeling they're not full enough, but suffice to say I went the Tupperware route and am glad I did. I still have two $20 cheap cigar boxes that look fancy on the outside, but all I keep in there is the remainder of my last CI order that I may never ever get around to smoking.

Honestly I bought this set up off of Amazon and it was great.
https://www.amazon.com/Sistema-1870-Collection-Rectangle-Container/dp/B00284AG5U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533299984&sr=8-4&keywords=airtight+tupperware
https://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Oasis-Caliber-Digital-Hygromter/dp/B00JXOKQVW/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1533300089&sr=1-3&keywords=boveda+65
https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-Humidity-Humidors-Humidifier-Dehumidifier/dp/B077KVC1VY/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1533300142&sr=8-1&keywords=boveda+65&th=1

$55 bucks for all 3. I threw in some Spanish cedar trays, but I am still seasoning them so cant account for them yet.

GL on whatever you decide sir.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Agree with this. The glass jars will hold RH WAY better, the light is a problem. You can get solid color jars though. My wood desktop humidor is a POS and it was over 100$. I have to keep (2) 60gram 72% Boveda in it to keep 68% RH and they only last 2 months. My tupperdores are twice the size and have (2) Boveda 65 60gram and they're are still on original packs with no sign of wear out yet 4months.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I understand that tupperware won't cut it. I've been into cigars for several years and now it's all about function over looks, but when I first got involved I too wanted a glass top. They really are beautiful. The problem, as everyone states, is that they are very difficult to maintain the correct RH. My main advice is to get a calibratable hygrometer. They are around $20 on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Hygrometer-10-Second-Tempeture-Quality-Importers/dp/B000H6CZQE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533301934&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+hygrometer+for+humidor)
Second, get a bunch of Boveda packs or use kitty litter because the way glass tops leak you'll need lots of media to maintain the correct RH.

Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I’ve bought a couple glass tops off cbid, got them for under $20 each. Got digital adjustable hygrometers for less than $7 each.
They have been great for me, maintains RH no problem, I use the gel crystals.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve bought a couple glass tops off cbid, got them for under $20 each. Got digital adjustable hygrometers for less than $7 each.
They have been great for me, maintains RH no problem, I use the gel crystals.
Yeah, I have a bid up on there rn

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I know you don’t want to use Tupperware but with humidors in the price range usually leak so going take more maintenance. Also I don’t know how big a stash you plan to have but realistically those humidors hold 35 robusto/toro size sticks. Remember you may not plan to store that many but you have to account for gifts from friends. So I say get whichever desktop humidor looks best to you and then get an small 9 qt cooler for any overflow.