What's new

Gopro vs Drift vs ????

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Hey guys, lots of electronics being purchased in the house for the holidays. Anyway, looking for a waterproof action cam, to mount to my kayak. Mainly want it to take pics of any fish that I catch. But wont be limited to that. So with that, here are my options that I see, and just wondering if anyone has any direct input on any of them.

Gopro Hero 3+ Black: Its expensive, around $400. But seems the most versatile. Has probably the most mounts, and really good picture and video quality. I have heard, that there are a lot of software issues with these. So that kind of makes me leary. Along with the fact that its the most expensive

Drift HD Ghost: Sits at about $300. Has a screen built in on it, so you can see what you are shooting. I like that. Also like the wrist remote that comes with it. Thats a nice feature. Has a decent amount of mounts, but is shaped more of like a camcorder/bullet like shape. That could be good or bad. Also like the fact that its waterproof out of the box to about 10ft. Can purchase a housing to go deeper.

Sony AS30v: Just found this one. Nice 12 mp cam and has steady shot, which could be really useful. About $300. Seems like a nice camera. Dont really know much about it, have to read up. I know the AS15v was rated really well, except it only had a 2mp camera, and since that is what my main use would be, thatd be no good. Although, unless im wrong, I could record, and take snapshots of the recordings.....I think, hahaha.

Contour Roam: These seemed to be really well liked. Price was good and people thought well of the video and picture quality. However, the company closed its doors in August, and no support or updates anymore. Can still buy the camera online, but based on the fact that they're out of business, probably best to steer clear.

Any input or info on any of these? Anyone have any experience? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks gents!!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd go with the gopro. You have your pick of almost anything in the aftermarket. Will probably be able to find a deal on black friday.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
We use gopros at work and the video quality is awesome on nice days. Low light, not as good. But I don't think they can be beat. Especially with all the available accessories and mounts.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget all those cameras with the bells and whistles, I made that mistake when I went the Samsung Xtreme over the Go Pro and I have regretted it every day since. The Go Pro is simple in form and function and seems to have the best wind noise reduction of any of the others I have tried.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Drift ghost s myself. I like the bullet shape, mostly because i've used it skydiving, so it's a bit more streamlined and fits the helmet better; less snags. also, same with water if you mount it on a helmet. the ghost also allows you to capture still frame pics (either 12 or 16 MP, can't remember) WHILE it's filming. that part won me over, because i don't have to worry about screen captures or whether the camera was moving at that time. you just push a button and it snaps a pic. also has a wi fi app so you can watch/control it from your phone.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm opposite as well. I've had two gopro's. Sold them both and picked up two of the sony cams. I do a lot of underwater, and cold weather ice fishing filming. The gopro images always seemed dark and the muffled audio was terrible. With the sony I can still get great audio and the images are really clear both above and below the ice. If your going to use it in a lot of morning/evening situations I would also suggest the sony. I used to have side by side film and audio from when I tested them against each other but when my hard drive went to crappies I lost em. (Can you tell I fish a lot when my phone autocorrects crap to crappies) haha!