What's new

Got a Palio Cutter

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have two Palio cutters and they work great. I just recieved my new Xikar V cutter in the mail which I am looking forward to testing out. I've never used a V cutter before so it should be interesting.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Palio cutters and they work great. I just recieved my new Xikar V cutter in the mail which I am looking forward to testing out. I've never used a V cutter before so it should be interesting.
You will be surprised how good it works, and a very clean cut.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I'm hoping to get a nice wood Palio sometime this year, though I'm not opposed to a Xikar either (love my new Xikar tripple torch!).

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with my Palio awhile back. I found that when I slowed down the cut action it worked alot better for me.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I'm hoping to get a nice wood Palio sometime this year, though I'm not opposed to a Xikar either (love my new Xikar tripple torch!).

ok, take note real quick, I am going to say something positive about XiKar.

Palio uses a shrink wrap to get the wood, carbon fiber, and metalic looks. The cutter works just as well, but it's a cheap looking finish to me.

XiKar uses real wood, several options, real metals, several options, and even mamoth tusk. Gotta say. that is pretty cool, i really like the look of those cutters, but they pinch my palm when I use them.

That's all before I say some thing negative.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You know just when I think my palio isn't functioning well I use another cutter and realize how much better of a job the palio does.

Thecatch83

I smoke Opus like candy!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've used/own both Xicar and Palio and they are both amazing cutters. If you can't get a perfect cut with them, you are doing something wrong. I am currently using two Xicar cutters (Xi2, CF X8 for bigger ring gauges) and they work every time.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Palio uses a shrink wrap to get the wood, carbon fiber, and metalic looks. The cutter works just as well, but it's a cheap looking finish to me.
My wife got me a burlwood Palio for Christmas in 2009 after seeing it in the CA gift guide. It does look a little better on paper than in person but cuts great. And because of the composite material it is really easy to keep clean.

I did have something interesting happen two weekends ago with the blades. While extending the cutter to clip a large ring gauge both blades fell off. I guess the glue that held them in had dried out. The cutter spends a lot of time on our boat in the summer time and our house doesn't have central heat/air. I didn't think about sending it in for repair, just reattached them with a little gorilla glue. No problems thereafter.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't understand how you would have to get used to using a Palio, its a straight forward open and close cutter. If it isn't cutting good then I'm thinking there is something wrong with it and you should send it to Palio for a replacement...
Yup. BTW, how much of the cap are you trying to cut off? While it's possible that you got a defective Palio, it's pretty unlikely. Before you send it back, take a Q-tip dipped in alcohol and rub the cutting surfaces. Then try it. If it still is problematic, send it back to Palio. If you get a replacement and STILL have trouble, the problem is definitely in your technique.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
And I'm not really liking it.

I just got it in the mail the other day. Smoked 2 cigars and both cuts were sloppy. It smooshed the cut more than actually just cutting through it.

My other cutter always gives me a nice cut and kind of makes that quick snap when you cut the cigar.

Maybe I just need more practice with it, but I don't like it very much. :frownno:
I have many cutters including a Palio and Xikar. I also am not impressed with the Palio. I usually go with either my Cuban Crafters or my ultra-cheap V-cutter.