What's new

Got a ticket

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Got a question.

Last night I was a dumbass and parked on a street for an hour during the time when it switches to permit parking. I come back to my car and the alarm is going off, they are about to tow...

What is the standard practice in places with regards to stuff like this? Can they charge you to let your car go? It wasn't raised. and there definatly was something shady going on...

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Do you mean charge you to not tow your vehicle?

If the car isn't "hooked up", no part of the tow truck is touching your car, then you don't have to pay for shit.

If the car is already hooked up, the tow company will try to charge and fee since the car was already hooked up. It's best to pay it right there (you can haggle of course) but if the tow truck operator is a prick, you might as well pay the full amount. It beats paying for cab fare to the ghetto to pick up your car.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was in no mood to haggle, but the guy screwed me, that's for sure...He told me it would be $40 now, or $80 if he towed it...I caved in finally and gave him my card, thinking it was going to be $40..He charged me $80. Like I'm going to be able to read a hand written receipt on a dark street....

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
allanf said:
I was in no mood to haggle, but the guy screwed me, that's for sure...He told me it would be $40 now, or $80 if he towed it...I caved in finally and gave him my card, thinking it was going to be $40..He charged me $80. Like I'm going to be able to read a hand written receipt on a dark street....
Call your CC company and dispute the charge. :thumbsup:

Hambo

I'm Cigar-a-licious
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like you got hussled. I had a similar situation but I asked the truck to call the cops and he just let me go. I don't know what the deal is, maybe he just wanted less work. Sorry though.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
He threated to call the sherriff..I think he was bluffing...Quite frankly, with mom having her arm amputated yesterday, I wasn't thinking straight or I wouldn't have parked there in the first place. Let alone had my wits about me, except I was F-ing pissed, like I haven't been in years....Took me three hours to fall asleep last night, I was so burned.
With regards to dipsuting the charge, this is where it gets interesting(YAWN)...The city told me that it is usually $80 to "drop" a car. So I think he was counting on me handing him $40 cash, pocketing it, and finding another car-They line up at 7 with the parking enforcement guys and follow them around...The guy at the yard whom I called last night told me he would sue me if I disuputed the charge.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
allanf said:
...The guy at the yard whom I called last night told me he would sue me if I disuputed the charge.
Dispute the charge...he would have to sue the credit card company to get the $40.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dork. Shouldn't have parked there.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You hear about scams like that all the time. I would dispute it as well and make the guy deal with your card company.