What's new

Got My Old Axe Back

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Nice find Craig or re-find I should say....U will always remember your 1st ....lol

Max Lets not make this a age thing buddy, some of us FoG's were married and having kids in 1988......

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Some elbow grease, half a bottle of goo gone and some light steel wool to the hardware got her cleaned up. Next I need to see what kind of shape the existing pick ups are in and may just have to replace the pots, selector switch and input jack (all 3 are spent), then probably do a fresh rewire.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Some elbow grease, half a bottle of goo gone and some light steel wool to the hardware got her cleaned up. Next I need to see what kind of shape the existing pick ups are in and may just have to replace the pots, selector switch and input jack (all 3 are spent), then probably do a fresh rewire.

Niceeeeeeeee I knew you would

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I admit I am not much good when it comes to doing electrical work. I pulled up the wiring schematic and it doesn't look too difficult, but I am wondering if I should just take this thing to a guitar store and let them do it. I would have to get all the parts, get a soldering iron and then do the work myself. Another potential issue is making sure I get the correct parts (correctly rated pots and the right capacitor). I think I am talking myself out of DIY for the rewire, What ya think?

Here is the wiring schematic:

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I admit I am not much good when it comes to doing electrical work. I pulled up the wiring schematic and it doesn't look too difficult, but I am wondering if I should just take this thing to a guitar store and let them do it. I would have to get all the parts, get a soldering iron and then do the work myself. Another potential issue is making sure I get the correct parts (correctly rated pots and the right capacitor). I think I am talking myself out of DIY for the rewire, What ya think?
I have some old guitar repair VHSs that will walk you through the process. Let me know if you want them, because I haven't cracked them open in 20 years... there is probably stuff on the internet. Good luck and I'm glad you were able to find your original guitar.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
I have some old guitar repair VHSs that will walk you through the process. Let me know if you want them, because I haven't cracked them open in 20 years... there is probably stuff on the internet. Good luck and I'm glad you were able to find your original guitar.
I haven't had a VCR in 20 years....

I think I am going to stop by the local Guitar Center tonight and get an estimate for the work.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I haven't had a VCR in 20 years....

I think I am going to stop by the local Guitar Center tonight and get an estimate for the work.
Forgot to mention this... you probably already mentioned or thought about it. I would have the repair shop check out the fret board. It may require a level/crown. Maybe not. My first guitar was a Fender Strat... I wish I still had it.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
So I called and got a rough quote of $60 to replace the parts and rewire it from a shop that is about 4 blocks from work. Looking online I found the kit for $40 + $8 shipping (plus I would have to buy a soldering iron). Think I will pay the extra $12 and let the experts do their thing. Plus, as you stated Jonathan, I can have them look at the fret board and everything else while they have it there. Plan on dropping it off tomorrow and checking out a few practice amps.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
It turned out to need some additional work. Most of the frets had to be redressed and they had to make some adjustments as well. The total came to $105 for the repair and the tech re-stringed it for me at no cost. He said he was surprised how well it played once it was done. So I did a little shopping today and bought a strap, cord, stand, picks and a used amp to mess around with in my free time.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
You better be ready for some requests at the MS herf. Just saying. I'll be bugging you for a few! (Sweet Child of My ye ya ya yine..... oooohhhh Yeahhhhhh)