What's new

Grab Bag mystery "Sherpa" Candela Noob Review

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Let me start off by saying, I had a hard time truly identifying thIs cigar. Although the label says Sherpa, I could not match it's appearance to any other Sherpa.
20150204_213520.jpg 20150204_214953.jpg 20150204_212027.jpg 20150204_212008.jpg
Pre-Light
It started off rough l, when removing the band for a pic, part of the wrapper came with it. A sign of things to come?
The aroma from the foot was a wet hay/ grassy scent. However it was fairly subtle.
The pre-light draw matched the aroma from the foot.

First Third
The first third of this cigar was not as bad as I thought. It was a fairly mild grassy flavor. This being my first candela. It's hard for me to tell if it's the wrapper or filler giving me these grassy notes. Medium bodied/ mold strength. This bad boy looks like it is going to canoe on me.

Second Third
The second third didn't change much in the was of flavor but the burn did correct itself quickly. I notice the ash is a bit feathery and won't hold very well. Burn is slightly wavy but no other serious issues.

Final Third
I started to pick up a little bit of a more woody flavor toward the end. The finish lingers for a good while, and reminds me of fresh cut grass. It was there throughout but gained momentum around the bottom of the band region. Being new to this. It is still hard for me to articulate the flavors and nuances into words. While not completely terrible, the smoke is getting a little warm and the stick a little soft, so I will be ending it here.

Final Thoughts
I lit this with an open mind, and wasn't entirely disappointed. It was as I suspected. A grassy flavored smoke. I didn't like that the finish lingered so long as it was not very favorable to my palette. As I may have mentioned before, I started with some higher end smokes with lots of cocoa and espresso nuances, and have become accustomed to such. That being said this was not a bad smoke if you enjoy those barnyard flavors lol. I'm sure some of us do. Now to just figure out what the heck it is....

Thand for your time, and be gentle. This is my first review.

Last edited:

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I believe it is a re-banded Optimo but I can't be sure. Either way it was a great review. Keep em coming on some better sicks. (y)

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
Great review!

Columbo smoked candelas all the time it seems. So they can't be terrible, lol. Though I was never to identify what the actual cigar that Peter Faulk smoked in Columbo. It seems he would just buy the cheapo cigars from the drug store or smoke whatever was available on set.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I've never had a candela. I have a Fithly Hooligan that's been resting for a few years now, can't bring myself to smoke it. They just look like guacamole, or else like those spinach tortilla wraps you sometimes see in party platters from Costco. Neither sounds like an appealing cigar flavor, and I can't move past it psychologically.

Which is odd, because I'll try pretty much anything else at least once...

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've never had a candela. I have a Fithly Hooligan that's been resting for a few years now, can't bring myself to smoke it. They just look like guacamole, or else like those spinach tortilla wraps you sometimes see in party platters from Costco. Neither sounds like an appealing cigar flavor, and I can't move past it psychologically.

Come on, it's Official Candela Week 2015! And there's a review contest going! Smoke it! Smoke it! Smoke it!!!

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Come on, it's Official Candela Week 2015! And there's a review contest going! Smoke it! Smoke it! Smoke it!!!
Nah, I just made it up because of the random coincidence of two candela reviews on the same day... like when you wait forever for a bus then suddenly two come along at once.

But with one more, I think we can officially name it Candela Week. Why not? There's Lancero February. So dig out that Filthy Guacamole Hooligan - we're waiting!

BoneYard

Spent loot on Scotch,Women&Cigars -rest I wasted.
Rating - 100%
26   0   0

Hey brother, I've smoked a couple green wrappers about 8 years ago, and they were both excellent. I was first turned on to one by my B&M. Try it!
I think AB had some nostalgia in mind with the filthy hooligan (and st Pattys) -however the Filthy is a dyed wrapper I believe. never had one but I'd love to know what you think.
Here's a little history on green wrappers:
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/Its-Not-Easy-Being-Green_8220