Grand Edmundo Edición Limitada 2010 Review

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Monte GE 2010 Review
Montecristo Grand Edmundo Edicion Limitada 2010
Cuba
5 7/8 (150mm) x 52
~$20

It’s a decent looking cigar though slightly dry and devoid of oil, when held at the right angle in light, a slight dusting can be seen, traces of plume or dried oil. The foot is well filled, almost a little tight but Im hopeful the draw will be fine. No soft spots. The wrapper is a slightly mottled Colorado Claro with a somewhat rustic appearance.

The cold draw off the wrapper is all salt, caramel, earth and subtle mineral. The cap cuts cleanly and evenly to reveal an aged tobacco core, hay and cedar; a spice tingle comes in way late, like 20 sec after the cold draw.

After gently toasting the foot and taking the initial draw I am immediately hit with a blast of pepper, spice, fresh black coffee and a deep earth. The salt off the wrapper and a lingering caramel sweetness long into the finish helps balance things out on this Med+ start. 5 min in the pepper from the toasted foot has completely dissipated and is replaced by a softer allspice. Further in a milk chocolate begins to surface adding depth and complexity to this already rich and flavorful stick.

The draw is a bit firm but its producing decent, mouth watering smoke. Its able to sit for extended periods without needing resuscitation, the burn is cool and fairly even and the ash is solid and stable. It holds on for well over an inch before the tap; a lighter gray than typical Habanos wrappers and a hallmark of ELs.

Moving into the second half the draw has opened up to near perfection and smoke output is banging on all cylinders. Im not surprised but simply loving just how smooth and delicious the tobacco is. No youthful bite, just incredibly easy on the soft palate and back of the throat. I feel like I could inhale it right into my lungs with no problem. A quick retro reveals some Cuban twang and floral tobacco and wafts of foot smoke deliver more allspice. A cedar core moves quickly to the forefront and orange peel begins to develop very deep in the background. A slight uptick in strength as it nears the nub, gets a bit hot with a strong nutmeg, finishing Med+.

The cigar ends with a smoke time of 1hr and 30min

24/30 – box worthy

A great cigar that doesn’t loose steam and develops as it smokes.

The Montecristo Grand Edmundo EL 2010 is likely old news to most but I wanted to give it an honest appraisal, maybe youre sitting on a few and aren’t sure how theyre currently smoking. Im a huge fan of the Monte profile in general so my assessment may be a bit biased but I don’t think this cigar will hit its peak a few more years. I could easily recommend it as box worthy if youre looking to pick some up. I know I will.

I also found this cigar very different from the EL 520 which, while richer and fuller, tends to get a bit muddy toward the middle. I find the GE more balanced and complex. Its also vastly different from the Double Edmundo, which offers much more sweet caramel and earthy mushroom.

*This review is a few years old but I smoked one recently and it was wonderful
Missing pics 'cus photobucket got greedy
@ChuckMejia