What's new

Graycliff Corona Especiales (Red label)

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Size: Panatela ( 6" x 38 )
Wrapper: Indonesia
Binder: Indonesia
Filler: Brazil, Honduras, Nicaragua
These are made at the Graycliff factory in Nassau, Bahamas. The blend was created by Avelino Lara, the former head of the Cohiba factory in Cuba.

I've smoked quite a few of these over the years. The Red label was the original blend but the brand has now morphed into 6+ other lines, mostly stronger in strength and body (although I imagine the Green label candela is probably mild or medium). The Red label is mostly medium in strength and body.

These look somewhat similiar to a Cohiba CE, with a smooth, almost veinless milk chocolate wrapper topped with a small pigtail. The light was easy, burn was straight all the way through and it created a good volume of smoke on an easy draw.

The one I smoked today started off somewhat mild in strength, with some vegetal bitterness, a bit of metallic twang and some creaminess. The metallic flavor disappeared after the first inch or so and by the beginning of the second third the strength / body increased to medium. I was getting occasional cocoa flavors around a core of cedary tobacco. The last third the strenght had increased again up to the fuller side of medium and the sweet cocoa flavors were replaced by more of a dark chocolate / coffee bitterness.

Overall a very good and complex cigar. Not a good value at MSRP though - which is about $10. These occasionally go on sale for 20-30% off at some selected retailers ... or even more if you catch a BOTL who needs the humidor space. :smokingbo

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Ted, I smoked one of these today as well :smokingbo

I think your review is spot on, especially with regards to the "vegetal bitterness" and "core of cedary tobacco". I tasted the cocoa and coffee towards the last third as well.

One thing I'd add is that it had some of the whitest tight ash I've ever seen, and that it burned razor sharp.

And these ARE good, thanks for the review :thumbsup:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Thanks for the review. Heard a lot about Graycliff. Never tried one