What's new

Greetings Gents - Hailing from the Arid Southwest

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Unspecified Bunker in El Paso - status: vagabond
Greetings Gentlemen,
I'm Joe, often called Big Joe and frequently Roach. Until recently I had no idea that a forum of discriminating adults that engaged in respectful conversation existed. I can't tell you how pleased I am that it happens to be a cigar forum.

I'm not exactly new to cigars but I've only really began trying to diversify my palate and experiment with more cigars recently. I started smoking thanks to my father. I remember the first time I was sent anywhere by the Marine Corps my father sent me a small ziploc full of cigars. I can't remember every cigar he sent in that first care package but I distinctly remember one standing out more than all the rest. It was a white tube with a cedar lining. As it turns out, it was one of my fathers favorite smokes and over the years as he would send me new cigars I'd almost always receive one of those mellow joys. If you haven't already figured it out it was a Davidoff. Millennium to be specific and it became my favorite cigar.

That was over 15 years ago and I still make a point to enjoy a Millennium at least a few times a year. Over the years I've continued to enjoy Davidoff's and occasionally strayed to other brands on the recommendation of an attentive shopkeeper or a friend who offered a stogie to join them for an evening, but I never really managed to build a collection. All I've had for the past 10 years has been a little 10 cigar burl wood, cedar lined humidor. It can almost always be opened to find a Davidoff or two resting and waiting to be appreciated, sometimes an H.Upmann 1844 Reserve, very frequently a tin of CAO Brazil Cigarillos and an occasional Gurkha. I know I don't have the most advanced palate, but I know what I like. My humidor generally rests in the high 60's and I don't really stress that it be much more precise than that. I'm a fairly content guy that enjoys to go for a casual walk as I enjoy my cigars.

Lately I've turned my attention to trying more brands, experiencing different flavors and eventually enjoying a good Habano. I don't know what initiated the desire but I have a decent idea that it's the ridiculous amount of free time that I've been having lately. You see, my wife is active Air Force and recently got sent to Korea. Well, I had a car accident in December that required me to have a wrist surgery in March. That encouraged me to move back home to El Paso so my family could watch my ankle biter until I get out of this horrid cast and eventually recoup. Turns out I have a cousin that, while very new to cigars, quite enjoys them. I've already shared a few and plan to share many more before I end up leaving town.

What I'm currently doing: converting a Pelican 1400 into a travel humidor so that I'm prepared to travel once I'm done with this wrist injury. Of course I seem to have difficulty filling even my little humidor, yet alone the Pelican, since all my cigars keep disappearing. Most recent disappearance was a Man O' War Armada War Horse. I'll admit this, that thing gave me a right hook that left me a little weak in the knees.

I believe I've chatted enough, it's 3am and I have to be up at 6am, so I shall call it a night and hopefully talk to you gentlemen tomor--- later today.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Hello Joe and welcome from Chattanooga, Tn. Thank you for your service, sir. We are pleased to have you join us. I know you will enjoy our community and brotherhood here. Excellent introduction. I look forward to reading your posts.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome from the east coast of canada. i think you are going to love it here, you would be hard pressed to find a better group of individuals anywhere.

Oh, watch your step. It is a very slippery slope, cliff really.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Welcome from Ft Hood. Great intro. Be sure to check out the Newbie Trade Thread in the Cigars Thread. It's a great way to get to know a veteran BOTL and share some great smokes.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Welcome from Arizona! Sharing the passion we have for the leaf is what we all have in common here and is the spirit of the site. It sounds like you already have that part down and will fit right in around here!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Unspecified Bunker in El Paso - status: vagabond
Gentlemen, thank you for the greetings & Semper Fi Mr.Draned.

I've been lurking around here for about a week before I decided to introduce myself, so I've, in a sense, made myself at home, taken a look around and got the gist of how things work around here. I like it. I expect to be buying/trading a few stogies very soon, not just to get myself known but one can never go wrong when a good stick is suggested and passed on. The trading experience is much more personal than just reading a review or staring blankly at a label in a large store while people pass behind you, all while creating the illusion that you're a discerning connoisseur contemplating how this cigar in your hand will not only taste to your refined palate but how the experience will positively affect your evening. That is, until it dawns on you that you're stroking a brown, glorified water pillow made to look like a cigar and you quickly dismiss it, in hopes that nobody notices you just stared at a plastic stick for over a minute.

On a serious note - I do occasionally have those, I plan on doing a lot of traveling this fall as I leave El Paso en route to Northern VA and all points in between to allow my extended family the opportunity to spend some time with my son before we likely disappear overseas next year. In fact GPJKSU, I'll be in Albuquerque Sunday evening through Monday. If time and conditions permit we should possibly consider a rendezvous. I never obtained a membership at Monte's, unfortunately, but I'm fairly sure I'll find somewhere Sunday evening. I should mention I always enjoy a cigar after a long drive.

I'll bring my introduction to a close, for now, but I hope to encounter you all soon - either through trade or while enjoying a fine tobacco.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Greetings Gentlemen,
I'm Joe, often called Big Joe and frequently Roach. Until recently I had no idea that a forum of discriminating adults that engaged in respectful conversation existed. I can't tell you how pleased I am that it happens to be a cigar forum.

I'm not exactly new to cigars but I've only really began trying to diversify my palate and experiment with more cigars recently. I started smoking thanks to my father. I remember the first time I was sent anywhere by the Marine Corps my father sent me a small ziploc full of cigars. I can't remember every cigar he sent in that first care package but I distinctly remember one standing out more than all the rest. It was a white tube with a cedar lining. As it turns out, it was one of my fathers favorite smokes and over the years as he would send me new cigars I'd almost always receive one of those mellow joys. If you haven't already figured it out it was a Davidoff. Millennium to be specific and it became my favorite cigar.

That was over 15 years ago and I still make a point to enjoy a Millennium at least a few times a year. Over the years I've continued to enjoy Davidoff's and occasionally strayed to other brands on the recommendation of an attentive shopkeeper or a friend who offered a stogie to join them for an evening, but I never really managed to build a collection. All I've had for the past 10 years has been a little 10 cigar burl wood, cedar lined humidor. It can almost always be opened to find a Davidoff or two resting and waiting to be appreciated, sometimes an H.Upmann 1844 Reserve, very frequently a tin of CAO Brazil Cigarillos and an occasional Gurkha. I know I don't have the most advanced palate, but I know what I like. My humidor generally rests in the high 60's and I don't really stress that it be much more precise than that. I'm a fairly content guy that enjoys to go for a casual walk as I enjoy my cigars.

Lately I've turned my attention to trying more brands, experiencing different flavors and eventually enjoying a good Habano. I don't know what initiated the desire but I have a decent idea that it's the ridiculous amount of free time that I've been having lately. You see, my wife is active Air Force and recently got sent to Korea. Well, I had a car accident in December that required me to have a wrist surgery in March. That encouraged me to move back home to El Paso so my family could watch my ankle biter until I get out of this horrid cast and eventually recoup. Turns out I have a cousin that, while very new to cigars, quite enjoys them. I've already shared a few and plan to share many more before I end up leaving town.

What I'm currently doing: converting a Pelican 1400 into a travel humidor so that I'm prepared to travel once I'm done with this wrist injury. Of course I seem to have difficulty filling even my little humidor, yet alone the Pelican, since all my cigars keep disappearing. Most recent disappearance was a Man O' War Armada War Horse. I'll admit this, that thing gave me a right hook that left me a little weak in the knees.

I believe I've chatted enough, it's 3am and I have to be up at 6am, so I shall call it a night and hopefully talk to you gentlemen tomor--- later today.
Now thats an intro! Welcome to BOTL!