What's new

Grinders?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have really GOT to try some of that Black Dog coffee!

Problem is, I don't have a grinder. Is there a decent one in the $50 and under range that someone can recommend?

I have heard burr grinders are much better than blades, but most seem to be on the spendy side. I have seen them for around $50, but when something that is normally spendy is selling cheap, it makes me think it is probably junk, though that's not always the case.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks bros.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I have one of those $50 burr grinders (a Cuisinart) and while it's not even remotely in the same class as a high-end burr grinder, it is light years beyond the cheapie $10 blade grinders that I used for years.

PROS:
- The grind control is very adjustable
- You can grind as little or as much as you want
- The beans don't get shredded, they get crushed

CONS:
- The grind isn't always consistent
- If you want to grind a LOT of beans, it will take all day
- The static buildup in the grind catch bin is annoying and can be messy

All in all, I'd say that these little $50 jobbers are certainly superior to the typical blade grinder, especially if you need to fine tune your grind for an espresso machine or a french press. But don't even think about comparing it to one of the higher-end expensive units; it's not even in the same league.

Would I rather have an expensive grinder and espresso maker? Sure would!

But am I relatively satisfied with my $50 grinder and $100 espresso maker? Yup, plenty good enough for my morning wake-up coffee.

That's my 2¢, and of course YMMV

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
James,

The question about grinders is on of the most often asked questions on the coffee boards. It is arguably the most important part of brewing coffee.

The extraction of “oils” from the coffee bean (brewing) is a function of grind, time and temperature. If you brew your coffee at too low a temperature or for too short a time (under-extract), you can get weak sour coffee, too long or too hot (over-extract) and you can get strong bitter coffee.

The blade grinders and most of the cheaper burr grinders create “boulders and dust” which means that the grind is uneven. The “boulders” will under-extract and the “dust” will over-extract. The key is to have as uniform a grind as possible so that the coffee “oils” are being extracted at the same rate for each particle. You are then essentially removing one of the variables, the grind.

It has been said by one of the “gurus” of coffee that, it is possible to get better coffee from a $200 grinder and a $75 espresso machine than a $50 grinder and a $1500 espresso machine. Espresso being the process that most magnifies both the good and bad in coffee.

It seems to be the common wisdom among the coffee geeks that your best lowest entry point for grinders are the Solis Maestro, Starbucks Barista or the Capresso Infinity. A quick search on Froogle will get you some pretty good prices for new machines. There are used ones available too if you look. They are all pretty comparable and give you a reasonably even grind for drip, press or vacpot brewing. If you are talking espresso, that’s another issue all together.

Brian puts a lot of time and love into his coffee; you will want to taste it as best you can.

How will you be brewing this? I would suggest either a Melitta pour over cone or a French Press (my favorite). Both can be had for less than $20 and produce a great cup. Remember to use water between 195* F and 205* F and brew for between 2.5 min and 4 min.

JMVHO…… :innocent:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I always look to Dan for guidance.

I just picked up a Capresso Infinity Chrome and love it, but it was 140.00

I use a french press daily in the morning. Best cup of coffee I have ever had.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I am getting a grinder for Christmas.

One question though for French pressers:

When heating your water, and I am assuming one should use a thermometer
(right now I pour just before boiling, i.e., when the little bubbles appear), but is there one that is as practical as it is cheap?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Excellent post by Dan! He does know his stuff.
Funny, he said the same thing about you when we were talking coffee in Philly.

I am getting a grinder for Christmas.

One question though for French pressers:

When heating your water, and I am assuming one should use a thermometer
(right now I pour just before boiling, i.e., when the little bubbles appear), but is there one that is as practical as it is cheap?
I boil the water, then turn it off till it stops for 30 seconds, then add it to the press. I never use a thermometer. Guess I'm just not that OCD right there.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Thank you all for your help. I had been considering this La Pavoni:

http://tinyurl.com/y6lqz8

(don't laught too hard, but I was actually looking at some of the hand cranked burr grinders, too--the old fashioned style, and the lack of noise appeals to me, but I imagine they probabaly don't work that great)

I guess I'll have to double my price range. Maybe I can talk a couple family members into going in on one for Christmas. :santa2:

Dan, I was going to go with a French press for the good stuff, because of the low price and the quality of the brew, and continue using the trusty old Bunn Pour-o-Matic for every day, morning wake up brewing.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Séamas;148789 said:
Thank you all for your help. I had been considering this La Pavoni:

http://tinyurl.com/y6lqz8

(don't laught too hard, but I was actually looking at some of the hand cranked burr grinders, too--the old fashioned style, and the lack of noise appeals to me, but I imagine they probabaly don't work that great)

I guess I'll have to double my price range. Maybe I can talk a couple family members into going in on one for Christmas. :santa2:

Dan, I was going to go with a French press for the good stuff, because of the low price and the quality of the brew, and continue using the trusty old Bunn Pour-o-Matic for every day, morning wake up brewing.
You can still use lower quality beans in the FP, they'll prob tasted better than the drip.

That grinder is a burr, now it may not be the greatest but if it is what you can afford it should do a good job.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The Capresso infity can be had for $90 shipped (and no tax) and is very capable for drip, french press, and even some espresso.
If you want a hand-crank, then the Zassenhaus are the best.
They are very functional and not just a gimick. They are, however, hard to find.
Sweet Maria's is out of stock on them, but their page has some useful info on them:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.zas.shtml
They are not for everybody.

As for the La Povini, some mixed (mostly not good) reviews:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/lapavonipa

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The Capresso infity can be had for $90 shipped (and no tax) and is very capable for drip, french press, and even some espresso.
If you want a hand-crank, then the Zassenhaus are the best.
They are very functional and not just a gimick.
As for the La Povini, some mixed (mostly not good) reviews:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/lapavonipa
Yeah, I saw the Capresso prices. Not too bad. I'll probably end up springing for that one. I just hate third rate products. Second rate is fine, though. :glassesgr

One question, how loud is it? One review said it is "super quiet" but that can be relative. If I can't find an electric grinder that won't wake up the entire (small, thin walled) house in the morning, I may have to go with hand cranked.

Caudio: I haven't seen an FP that can make 3, twelve cup pots of stong coffee in under 10 minutes. Do they exist?

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
My Infinity is pretty noisy. If I'm on the phone in the kitchen I have to ask the person on the line to hold on while I grind or I can't hear them. Personally I haven't run into a quiet grinder yet. Believe it or not, the commercial Ditting I recently got is the quietest grinder I've ever used.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I'm with you Brian. Even my Macap is noisy. I used to wrap a dish towel around the Infinity when I was grinding coffee in the morning so as not to wake the wife. I just have to remember how hard those little beans are and what I'm actually doing to them! Poor things.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The Capresso is pretty loud, not really more so than others, but loud nonetheless.
You could try putting a box or a pillow over it or something.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I bought a Bodum C-Mill from Sweet Maria's since I didn't need grind for espresso, just drip/AeroPress. So far I'm happy with it, especially for the price. If you can afford something better I'd highly recommend you buy the best you can afford, but for travelling or quick everyday use this little thing has been great.