What's new

Guerrilla/Grilla Roasting?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So my cousin got herself a roasting gig at Pete's coffee after years of hard work and studying... to celebrate her new job and my birthday we got together at my mom's house and roasted some Kona and Berundi coffee on the grill (as an experiment). I had never roasted before, so I was anxious to learn. Coffee came out on the light side, and a little inconsistent due to the heat containment issues involved with a grill, but it was good times for sure!!

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Probably not... like I said, the coffee came out pretty inconsistent because all the heat was escaping out of the open grill; we needed to keep the lid up in order to keep the beans moving/not buring.

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Yeah, I have read that the wok is one of the hardest things to roast with for that reason, but it still looks interesting to try. Do you roast with anything else, or was this just a one time experiment (roasting in general)?

Last edited:

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Yeah, I have read that the wok is one of the hardest things to roast with for that reason, but it still looks interesting to try. Do you roast with anything else, or was this just a one time experiment (roasting in general)?
Yeah, I haven't roasted with anything else... the grill was not the way to go, and I don't have any other space for any devices.

After we started with the wok, we switched to a aluminum drip pan because it was thinner and had a larger surface area so we coud get more beans in touch with a hot surface.