What's new

Guidelines on calculating storage size (for humidification)

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hey guys, long time no read. I have no idea why I haven't been around ...

I've been struggling to keep my large wooden humidor to hold a good RH in the dry Colorado climate ... have used beads, floral foam, a few other things. Right now my stash is pretty low (probably part of why the box was drying out, too much air, we'll be fixing that, oh yes, we will), so I figure I can move everything to my smaller humis and re-season the big one and start anew.

I'm thinking of trying boveda packs or just getting some new beads (the ones I have are old, though I guess it shouldn't matter, but I want a fresh start), but I need to calculate storage, and to be honest, never really thought of it. I can't find the humidor I bought (which doesn't have any distinctive markings) online. Is there a good guideline for capacity based on interior dimensions? I'm guessing it's in the 100 to 150 stick class ...

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
for boveda or beads, really you can't have too much, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to over humidify. you can also move them around after you stabilize your box.

for calculating space, manufacturers always roll them a little higher than what they hold (like, you are NOT going to get a hundred church's in a 100ct box). IMO, figure out how many 50 to 52 ring cigars fit along the base, then figure out how many high you can stack them. simple.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
If you are going to use Heartfelt beads, they pretty much tell you how much you need on their webpage. http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14 Calculate the cubic inches that you need to humidify by taking length x width x height of the interior of your humidor.

If you are going to use Boveda packs here is the verbiage from their website:

"There is a simple formula to determine how may Boveda Packs you require.

You will need one Pack for the Humidor itself and then one pack for every 50 cigars of CAPACITY. So if you have a humidor that holds 40 cigars, use 2 packs. If your box holds 75 cigars, use 3 packs. 100 cigars, 3 packs. You get the picture."

Based upon that info and the description of your humi I would guess that you'd be good to go with 4 packs.

If you go the Boveda direction I would suggest you read this thread as well http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php/60908-Rehydrating-Bovedas

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Yeah, I know you can't overdo it. I'm just struggling with our soaking wet RH (currently 9% in Colorado Springs, 7% where I am!).

Have thought about looking into a vinotemp, honestly, just for the peace of mind.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Thanks for the replies, by the way. Glad to see the forum doing so well. Really no idea why I haven't been around; last two years it seems it's been all work and no play on the internet. What's THAT nonsense all about?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I live in southeastern CO, and though i don't think anyone else on here uses them, I use the floral beads one finds at walmart. Got a couple of "gel" bead humidifiers from CI a couple years ago and then saw the exact same beads at walmart. I have a 500/600 ct cabinet and I only use two of the little humidifiers that came with it. They originally had the foam in them which I replaced with the beads. I soak them in a little RO water every 3-4 months when I see my humidity drop 2% and they work great, take up no space, and are very maintenance free. Just have to make sure the container is taped up very well or they will expand too far and split it. I use electrical tape.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem in AZ during the dry months. In my similar sized desktop I used to use about twice what the recommended by volume beads quanitity. Even then, I would need to stay on top of them to keep them moist during the really dry months. Probably adding water every 2 -3 weeks when it is in the single digits. The move to a wine fridge has cut that back to once every quarter, with a couple pounds of beads in it.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Threw all of my humidors in the storage bin and put all of my cigars in airtight fido jars with boveda packs. Each jar holds about 20 sticks depending on size, I have over 30 jars on a shelf in a cool, dark closet. I've yet to have a single cigar not meet my expectations and I've eliminated the constant annoyance of humidor care (they remind me of fish tanks in that respect).