What's new

Gurkha Estate Selection

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Let me say that I am a big Gurkha fan. This was the first Est Sel I have smoked. Size is called "Prince" and is 5x52. Dom wrapper and binder and dom-Nic filler. Beautifully constructed. The foot is lighter in color, about 1/2 inch, than the rest of the body. It appears that there is no wrapper. Easy light and draw with Big smoke volume on each draw. The burn was even to the end. The cigar presented a toast flavor with a touch of sweetnes on the tongue and lips. A trickle of clove or pepper snuck in near the mid point. A very acceptable flavor of spice was detected towards the end. This cigar did not burn hot even when I would pull on it 3 times in a row. After close to 1 1/2 hours, I was completely satisfied with my evening cigar. I drank ice water, my favorite drink with a cigar, to cool and cleanse my palate between each draw.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Sar I am a CC freak but can still enjoy a nice Gurkha Legend. I love that sweet toasty taste you described perfectly. I have one sitting and waiting for the right occasion.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Let me say that I am a big Gurkha fan. This was the first Est Sel I have smoked. Size is called "Prince" and is 5x52. Dom wrapper and binder and dom-Nic filler. Beautifully constructed. The foot is lighter in color, about 1/2 inch, than the rest of the body. It appears that there is no wrapper. Easy light and draw with Big smoke volume on each draw. The burn was even to the end. The cigar presented a toast flavor with a touch of sweetnes on the tongue and lips. A trickle of clove or pepper snuck in near the mid point. A very acceptable flavor of spice was detected towards the end. This cigar did not burn hot even when I would pull on it 3 times in a row. After close to 1 1/2 hours, I was completely satisfied with my evening cigar. I drank ice water, my favorite drink with a cigar, to cool and cleanse my palate between each draw.
My Dad and I smoked one of these today...different size though. Ours was a pyramid about 6 1/2 inches long...or longer.

About a half inch of the foot had no wrapper on it as Sarnone described. It was exposed binder with the filler all sticking out. Very intriguing and I must admit it is what drew my eye to the cigar.

The box was very interesting with a rough cut look to the exterior and the cigars were surrounded by clippings of tobacco.

Sarnone was pretty much spot on with his description...all I would add is that the creamy taste was very close to a sweet cream flavor IMO.

Believe it or not I really enjoyed this cigar...we both did actually.

At $8.95 it was right in line with a good Cuban cigar. Still though, as good as it was it was definitely lacking that certain something, the twang I guess, that all Cubans have that make them so satisfying.

Attachments

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
My Dad and I smoked one of these today...different size though. Ours was a pyramid about 6 1/2 inches long...or longer.

About a half inch of the foot had no wrapper on it as Sarnone described. It was exposed binder with the filler all sticking out. Very intriguing and I must admit it is what drew my eye to the cigar.

The box was very interesting with a rough cut look to the exterior and the cigars were surrounded by clippings of tobacco.

Sarnone was pretty much spot on with his description...all I would add is that the creamy taste was very close to a sweet cream flavor IMO.

Believe it or not I really enjoyed this cigar...we both did actually.

At $8.95 it was right in line with a good Cuban cigar. Still though, as good as it was it was definitely lacking that certain something, the twang I guess, that all Cubans have that make them so satisfying.

It's true! Todd did have a domestic!!

:rofl:

Glad to hear ya enjoyed it man. Nice review!

R

RX2010

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm a Gurkha fan, but I hadn't heard of these, I will have to do some searching...

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
RX..I can't find them either....if you do let me know and vice versa....they are one fine cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw these for the first time today and smoked it after lunch. A review I did on a local site.

5x52

Wrapper: Dominican
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Nicaraguan, Dominican

No band on this thing, it's packed in tobacco leaves in boxes of 25 and 100, ala LVH. I haven't smoked it yet, I'll do so after lunch.
Ok, prelight. It's very well built. very firm and full, which isn't always the case with Gurkha brand smokes. Almost a sweet taste, I've been gnawing on it for a few minutes while I was driving to the site. It smells like, well... like a Gurkha. Easy draw with a cut, kinda wish I had punched it first to see the draw.

Upon light-up it's earthy and has a little spice to the smoke. Maybe some flowery undertones.

The ash held on for almost 3 inches. It wasn't as white as most gurkhas. It doesn't burn real even, this may be due to just pulling it from the store and smoking. It does catch it'self up for the most part, I have only touched it up once.

It stayed the same pretty much all thru the smoke. Got a little spicy in the middle, but evened back out.

Very pleasant smoke. Sheep might even like this one.

It was about $6.50, if I could find em cheaper I would buy more. I had never seen it before so I bought it. I'd hate to say that I had not tried all the Gurkhas in my price reach!

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
thanks for the review(s)! i do like the gurkha line! i have a few of the 1940 pre-embargo's left. has the shaggy foot like the earlier pic..... mmmmmmgoooood!!

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have been enjoying Gurkhas for quite a while. They are a fine cigar and can be had at a reasonable price nowadays. I have about 70-80 Gurkhas total in 13 different kinds. There are a few I haven't tried yet and there are a couple that I don't care for.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I like em, well i used to smoke them all the time those and Padrons were my go to sticks before I was taken