What's new

H. Upmann 1844 reserve dematisse review

Austinoir

The luckiest guy in Shawshank
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160307_230648.jpg 20160307_233220.jpg 20160307_234828.jpg 20160307_234839.jpg 20160307_235830.jpg 20160308_000406.jpg 20160308_000418.jpg Manufacturer: H. Upmann
MSRP: $1.88
Wrapper: Habano
Size: 5.25 " x 33
Strength: Medium
Shape: Cigarillo

Prelight: The H. Upmann 1844 Reserve Dematisse features a dark, reddish-brown Ecuadorian Habano wrapper that's very rustic and unrefined looking: underneath, a Nicaraguan binder and all-Dominican long-filler blend complete the ensemble. The result is a smooth, medium-bodied smoke that's rich in flavor and complete with notes of earth, nuts, pepper, and cedar, leather and raisins.

1/3: Good initial draw, sweet taste on lips almost sugary, next exhale brings dash of pepper on the tip of my tongue. Pepper lightens and hints of cream appear w a pale nutty flavor. Smoke is generous and smells delicious (tad bit manly for such a demure stick). Can only guess at leathery flavor with smoothness. A new flavor appears which is a dewy moss. Pepper surfaces, and my mouth starts to tingle. Stout smoke so far, faint raisin taste hits back of my tongue and is welcomed. Overall nutty tone coats mouth, creaminess coats tongue. Ash at an odd angle, hay smell picks up. Slight Pepper settles at back of the throat. Draw is way too easy, like sucking through a straw that's just extended from your mouth. Mossy earthy smell fills the air. Smoke is less, but after ash falls its picking up. Slight pepper but dissipate smooth creaminess has fully arrived.

2/3: The foot starts to canoe and burn unevenly (almost goes out). Corrects after 2-3 draws. Nutty flavor returns strong but smooth. Ash is looking gnarly, but getting a subtle flavor bump. Tip is getting wet due to slipping into my mouth to seal the draw, but gauge way too small for me (but hey, its a cigarillo). Smoke smoothing out very nicely and creamy texture coats roof of my mouth. Plumes of smoke return, but uneven burn persist. Leathery punch hits me a little harshly but dissipates after ash falls (foot looks like miniature exploded cigar). Smoke plums return with mixture of raisins, woodsy and a tweak of harshness. But settles soon, with next draw (must have hit a knotty patch I surmise). Back to smoothness. Ash is just horrid, I knock off and get a welcomed earthy hit of flavor-good on ya mate!

3/3: Time to bring this one home. The cigar almost dies on me going into the final third. I got preoccupied typing up this review on my laptop, so I’m probably to blame. But, it’s not entirely my fault, as this cigar is beginning to not holding my interest. Still spicy cedar. That’s all. The burn (once I got it going again) is still straight and the draw hasn’t changed since the pre-light. Stick almost goes out again. Back with a puff or two. Leathery taste punches me unexpectedly. But no worries still smooth. The tip is collapsing due to the moisture from my mouth, but not an issue (might have cut too much off cap-it is a 33 after all). Barnyard taste returns but dissipates w a hint of pepper, but still smooth, thankfully. Wait, a bitter taste surfaces and lingers in my mouth, but dissipates slower than I like and mild pepper ascends-a bit of an unexpected punch as we come down the stretch. Ah, its gone as quickly as it came, and the creaminess is there full force-nice recovery. C'mon you nag the winner's circle is in site. Should I go to the whip-no need its smooth again (more uneven burn on foot). Barnyard smell emanated from foot. No whip, but I see I've gotten all this nag has to give. No win, no place, barely a showing. The last few draws are harder than they should be, but I coast in with a harshness I expected. Close to nubbing, but I feel some leathery harshness rise, sadly I knock off the last ash and tar settle at the bottom of my throat before I put the stick down and I decide not to finish.

Overall:
Overall, I can't help but think that this cigar was a victim of my B&M crappy humidor. Though the individual flavors were diverse and interesting, they ultimately failed to come together as one unified and evolving flavor profile. The second third of the cigar was filled with rich various tastes. Their was a small portions of creamy taste and a nutty aftertaste, but mainly cedar. The final third main flavor profile was still mossy with a bit of leather and the spice seemed to pick up a bit more towards the end [SPECIAL NOTE: I read one short review on this stick that drawing on them like 50+ gauge cigars causes them to burn hot, harsh and bittter-Ah, who knew? I was taking very strong draws throughout my smoke]. Overall, I think this was a average cigar with good tobacco that had a few issues. I think these would be an excellent cigar to put in the humi and age for a while to see if that would improve the flavor, but hey it was $1.88.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sub'd. Have a few of these along with other vitola 1844 that ill have to try soon, been try to give them some time in the humi first as they seemed a bit off when I purchased them. Nice review sir!