What's new

H. Upmann No. 2

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Yesterday morning dawned sunny and warm as I headed to the golf course. I haven't been golfing in over a year so was pretty excited and had packed a travel case full of cigar goodness to mark the occasion. After hitting a bucket of practice balls I headed to tee off. I was by myself, but the guy teeing off ahead of me invited me to play with him so I got to enjoy some conversation as we played which naturally turned to cigars when I pulled an H. Upmann No. 2 from my travel case. This particular cigar was gifted to me by a fellow BOTL and I had almost smoked it on several occasions, but I'm glad today was the day instead. This cigar measures about 6 x 42 and is from 2008. The wrapper is a medium brown I'd guess with some small veins, but has an enticing oily sheen to it. It carries a wonderful aroma of slightly sweet, spicy tobacco. Clipped the cap and tested the draw...tight :hanghead:. Clipped a little more...still tight :hanghead:. Little more...better, but still on the tight side :sadcry:. Little more...alas still tight, but tolerable. Overall I'd say I removed about 3/8" - 1/2". The cold draw carries with it a light, nutty tobacco flavor. It was pretty windy on the course and even with my torch I had to step behind a tree to get it lit properly.

At first I had to fight to get any smoke, but after a bit it opened up some and I didn't have to struggle so much. Despite the draw problems it was love at first puff. An incredible mixture of cinnamon, hay, nuttiness, and rich tobacco washed over my palate. The burn needed an eye kept on it, but wasn't bad...just a few touch-ups now and again. About half way in the hay had deepened to a more woody flavor, but still mingled nicely with the cinnamon and nut. I also began to notice an aroma akin to a weak English blend pipe tobacco in the smoke from the cigar itself. It was quite nice.

I smoked this sucker until it was burning my hand through my golf glove. Reluctantly I chucked the nub into an empty trash can and immediately wished I had another to fire up. Overall a great compliment to the morning and if I have too many more experiences with CCs like this one, I fear I may become quite the CC whore...

Dan