What's new

[Habanophiles] Cohiba 1966 Review

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
AZCigarNut was kind enough to share one of these with me, and we smoked them together over a few beers. I suspect he'll post his notes in this thread as well.

Below are the notes as I typed them into my phone for safekeeping:

very nice wrapper, smooth, construction looks great
tight draw
gamey - leather, reminds me of duck, maybe even venison
bit of sweetness - ginger was a word picked by someone else but I think its appropriate
thin smoke
small bit of pepper but didn't last
about 2" in, ash still holding
not much change going on
bit of cream showing through
tiny bit of cocoa powder coming through
fills out towards the end

In summary... this was a leathery cigar, with thin smoke (maybe attributable to tight draw), and a rather consistent flavor profile. Towards the end I started to get a bit more, but not a lot. The pepper came and went within an inch. The cream showed through but left almost immediately. Th cocoa powder was a refreshing change but it wasn't particularly strong. Really it was leather, with that little bit of ginger sweetness, the whole way through. Almost like filet mignon sushi.

I really wanted to like this cigar, a lot. I wanted to like it enough to justify buying a few boxes. There are people who have good tastes in cigars, in my observation, and those people have recommended stocking up on these. Partly because they will age well, partly because they will appreciate. I have an easier time seeing the latter than I do the former.

The 1966 was a good cigar. It just wasn't a $45 good cigar. I may ultimately break down and buy a box to "set and forget", but I haven't committed to that yet.

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Damn, I really wish you would have gotten one of these that tasted as the ones I have smoked. I still think you should age a box :)

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
That is my dream cigar, but I have to admit I'm very let down by how this one treated you. Not sure I could spend that kind of coin on a cigar that might come out with those flavors. :(