What's new

Happiness is.... (Graphic.. Don't open if you can't stand the sight of blood...)

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
not even close...

Most fully mature boar here are in the 150-180 lb range I believe.. but.. the russian/eurasian boars in TX have bred with feral hogs so much (domestic pigs that escape their pens.. or exotic game ranchers intentionally release them so that they will mate with the boars..that end up going wild..).. that sizes/weights are really all over the map depending on what breeds have gotten together, etc.. I believe the max weight a pure russian boar gets to in the wild is about 300lbs in its original habitat..

This guy is WAY too big to be all "boar".. even though he has cutters (sharp tusk like teeth that protrude out the sides), is completely covered in bristly brown fur, etc.. his overall weight, shorter snout, etc.. are pretty clear indicators what while he is "wild" and has some boar in him.. that he also has a whole lot of "ferel pig" in him as well..

He is certainly a "trophy" boar.. and I would guess a top 5% animal... but.. there are usually reports every year of someone killing a 650-750lb boar somewhere in the state..

Im not sure what the actual state record is..
750lbs!!!! That's one huge pig!!!!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Mounting the head?
Negative...

I blew a significant amount of the skull out with the shot.. would have cost a fortune to have the taxidermist do a full mount.. and even a "western" mount (bone) wasnt an option since the area around the left eye socket was busted up as well as the back of the skull..

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Negative...

I blew a significant amount of the skull out with the shot.. would have cost a fortune to have the taxidermist do a full mount.. and even a "western" mount (bone) wasnt an option since the area around the left eye socket was busted up as well as the back of the skull..
A .243! Nice shooting. That'll teach you to bring more gun next time. . . If you had a desire to mount it that is. Otherwise that little bullet sure did the job!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Here in Mssouri, wild hogs haven't really taken over yet. They are here and multiplying, so it won't take long. The MIssouri Conservation has made it illegal to hunt them at this point as they say that just scatters them and increases their breeding. They are going to try to trap them. I say, good luck with that.