What's new

Happiness is.... (Graphic.. Don't open if you can't stand the sight of blood...)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Post the video of you cutting him to pieces bro!
Im cutting him into tiny pieces all day today lol..

went straight to cabelas as soon as we got home last night.. and bought a new professional grade grinder..

this guy is way too big to be doing hams, shoulders, ribs, etc..

so Im planning on cutting out the tenderloins.. and then tuning the remaining 300 pounds or so of meat into ground pork/sausage.. :)

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
RH really isnt all that important with bullets... temp is vital though.. I keep mine at a perfect 65 degrees year round... and freeze them for 3 days after initial purchase..

:D
I've never had bullet Beatles, but good thinking

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Any difference in meat quality based on size of hog?
The smaller hogs are definitely easier to cook and prepare overall..

I typically dont find the flavor any better or worse based on size/age.. but there is certainly a lot more toughness to the bigger pigs.. thats why I intend on making this guy about 90% into sausage/ground pork.. and only plan on keeping the ribs and tenderloins intact.. everything else goes into the grinder..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Yup, that is a monster. Is he a record in your state?
not even close...

Most fully mature boar here are in the 150-180 lb range I believe.. but.. the russian/eurasian boars in TX have bred with feral hogs so much (domestic pigs that escape their pens.. or exotic game ranchers intentionally release them so that they will mate with the boars..that end up going wild..).. that sizes/weights are really all over the map depending on what breeds have gotten together, etc.. I believe the max weight a pure russian boar gets to in the wild is about 300lbs in its original habitat..

This guy is WAY too big to be all "boar".. even though he has cutters (sharp tusk like teeth that protrude out the sides), is completely covered in bristly brown fur, etc.. his overall weight, shorter snout, etc.. are pretty clear indicators what while he is "wild" and has some boar in him.. that he also has a whole lot of "ferel pig" in him as well..

He is certainly a "trophy" boar.. and I would guess a top 5% animal... but.. there are usually reports every year of someone killing a 650-750lb boar somewhere in the state..

Im not sure what the actual state record is..