What's new

Hard, dry cigars?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Generally, my tupperdors run on the wet side due to the humidity around here, so most of my burn issues are normally related to wet cigars and are easily solved by dryboxing. But I have had two particular 5 packs (Ashton Classic Maduros and Guardian of the Farm) that have given me the opposite problem. The cigars are hard as rocks and "crunchy", to the point where cutting them feels like trying to cut a broom handle. They smoke horrible and bitter, naturally. Anyone know what could cause this when every other stick in the tups either burns perfectly fine or is slightly on the wet side? Anything that can be done to fix them?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
I keep everything in airtight tupperdors with 65% Bovadas and occasionally get one the same way, hard and dry wrappers.

Typically smoke fine though.

When I asked about it, the general consensus was that it was just a tight roll, and some wrappers are more fragile than others

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
they need to be kept in a separate place , not your humi, and moisture should be introduced very gradually.

I use a small piece of paper towel w/ a few drops of water, check it daily and add water as needed.

this recipe is for a box or most of one. Slow re-moisturization prevents swelling/cracking of the feet.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
they need to be kept in a separate place , not your humi, and moisture should be introduced very gradually.

I use a small piece of paper towel w/ a few drops of water, check it daily and add water as needed.

this recipe is for a box or most of one. Slow re-moisturization prevents swelling/cracking of the feet.
Thanks! Would a shotglass with a drizzle of distilled water inside a Tupperware work?

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
too fast.

put a folded 2" by 2" paper towel in the shotglass.

you only want very minimal moisture. 4 or 5 drops at a time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a humidor that was stashed away in a cabinet.....pretty much forgotten for the better part of 7 years. The hygrometer read 40% when I rediscovered it. I started with some low 62% Boveda packs. Then raise it gradually to 84 percents over the course of about 3-5 months. Then dropped back to the 65% and let them rest at that for 2 months before I tried smoking them. The Graycliffs were shit. But the El Rico’s were beyond amazing.