What's new

Has anyone ever had one?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Gurkha Gran Reserve? I have one from the Newbie Pass III. I got it as a host gift. I have never had one and I'm wondering if any of you have. It is infused but I';m wondering just how much, It's not a cheap cigar by any means. I'm hoping it is not a Gurhka version of a Drew Estate. It is a Congac infused cigar, I will give it a shot. Thought I'd check to see if anyone has tried one or not.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
is this the one that is in a glass tube with a wax cap? if so, i do believe it's infused with Luis XIII cognac. more of an after-dinner smoke, but very very good, nonetheless. smoked one recently and was amazed at how many people complemented me on the aroma!

jeff

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Per CI:
"The Grand Reserve features a premium Connecticut shade wrapper, and each cigar is infused with fine Louis XIII Cognac, resulting in a unique, subtle, pleasant and light finish. Not dipped, sprayed or injected, this secretive process is utterly unique, resulting in an extraordinarily mellow, subtle and refined taste that has not been duplicated by any other cigar maker. "

Other than that some interesting reviews on Top 25.

slcraiders

Rockin' in the Free World
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I had one of these and am sitting on a couple more. I was not overly impressed. Kind of reminded me of smoking a fabric softener sheet (even though I have never smoked a fabric softener sheet)...

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
not a fan of the cognac or rum infused cigars... i would just rather have a drink along with my cigar

Irritech

Punch Super
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I know it's kinda long, but I just had to clean the cereal off my moniter screen. One reviewer wrote this (from Top 25 Cigar) and I must warn you, this is some funny shit!! BTW ring=band LOL

This cigar wins the award for most disturbing ring ever. The ring is overly large, and displays the figure of a balding man in the center of a blood red background who can only be described as looking like an elderly Adolf Hitler fondling a kukuri knife, with a blank stare, and wearing a bell boy cap slightly cocked to the side. If they were going for a memorable ring, they certainly succeeded. Every time I see the ring, I imagine this sicko is about to kidnap me, molest me, chop me up, and feed me to his pigs, and not necessarily in that order. Oh, I&#8217;m supposed to be reviewing the cigar? Ok... The cognac this stick was soaked in tasted like it had been filtered through someone&#8217;s kidneys first. I should have tossed it after opening the wax sealed glass tubo and got a whiff of the odor emanating from the cigar, but alas after paying $13 bucks for this stick, I couldn&#8217;t bring myself to dump it. At least now I know why they chose to hermetically seal it in glass. Though the cigar appeared well made, the ring, wrapper, and cap were stained with swirls of what I can only hope was the cognac. Lighting the thing was surprisingly difficult since it had apparently absorbed so much alcohol I half expected it to burst into flames, and set my face on fire. Once lit, I hoped the burning tobacco would temper the overpowering smell, but when I put it to my lips I nearly gagged on the sweetness of the cap. If anything, the burning amplified the aroma and added a sickly sweet charred sugar smell. If the smell, construction, and taste weren&#8217;t bad enough, this is the first cigar I&#8217;ve ever suffered a physical injury from smoking. The draw was so tight it seemed like I was sucking on a milkshake straw; eventually I overstrained a muscle in my neck, and had to put it down. By &#8220;put it down&#8221;, I don&#8217;t mean gently placing the cigar in an ash tray, I mean in the sense of what you&#8217;d do with a rabid dog. As Huey Louis said about his soul stew being the baddest in the land, one dollars worth was all that I could stand. He&#8217;s right&#8230;sometimes bad is bad. For the sake of the entire cigar smoking world, please do not purchase these, even for a gag gift. I don&#8217;t want anyone at Gurkha to have a reason to make more of them:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Frank N

CFL
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had one that was in your box pass, I'm glad I got to try one. Not my thing though and I don't think I'd be running out and buying one, although it was not as bad as I was expecting.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I know it's kinda long, but I just had to clean the cereal off my moniter screen. One reviewer wrote this (from Top 25 Cigar) and I must warn you, this is some funny shit!! BTW ring=band LOL

This cigar wins the award for most disturbing ring ever. The ring is overly large, and displays the figure of a balding man in the center of a blood red background who can only be described as looking like an elderly Adolf Hitler fondling a kukuri knife, with a blank stare, and wearing a bell boy cap slightly cocked to the side. If they were going for a memorable ring, they certainly succeeded. Every time I see the ring, I imagine this sicko is about to kidnap me, molest me, chop me up, and feed me to his pigs, and not necessarily in that order. Oh, I’m supposed to be reviewing the cigar? Ok... The cognac this stick was soaked in tasted like it had been filtered through someone’s kidneys first. I should have tossed it after opening the wax sealed glass tubo and got a whiff of the odor emanating from the cigar, but alas after paying $13 bucks for this stick, I couldn’t bring myself to dump it. At least now I know why they chose to hermetically seal it in glass. Though the cigar appeared well made, the ring, wrapper, and cap were stained with swirls of what I can only hope was the cognac. Lighting the thing was surprisingly difficult since it had apparently absorbed so much alcohol I half expected it to burst into flames, and set my face on fire. Once lit, I hoped the burning tobacco would temper the overpowering smell, but when I put it to my lips I nearly gagged on the sweetness of the cap. If anything, the burning amplified the aroma and added a sickly sweet charred sugar smell. If the smell, construction, and taste weren’t bad enough, this is the first cigar I’ve ever suffered a physical injury from smoking. The draw was so tight it seemed like I was sucking on a milkshake straw; eventually I overstrained a muscle in my neck, and had to put it down. By “put it down”, I don’t mean gently placing the cigar in an ash tray, I mean in the sense of what you’d do with a rabid dog. As Huey Louis said about his soul stew being the baddest in the land, one dollars worth was all that I could stand. He’s right…sometimes bad is bad. For the sake of the entire cigar smoking world, please do not purchase these, even for a gag gift. I don’t want anyone at Gurkha to have a reason to make more of them:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
And the comment following this one:

"DAMM WHAT A GREAT CIGAR.I DISAGREE WITH THE COUPLE OF REVIEWERS THAT HAVE THEIR NOSE SO FAR UP THEIR KEESTER. GREAT NOSE AND TASTE. I ALMOST CUT IT UP IN A BOWL AND POURED MILK ON IT. I HAVE BEEN HOLDING OFF ON THESE BEAUTIES FOR SOME TIME AND CANT WAIT FOR ANOTHER.I HAVE ONE MORE WITH A LITTLE AGE ON IT AND WISH I HAD NOT GIVEN THE OTHERS AWAY. BUT WHAT PLEASURES OTHERS WILL GET. GREAT SMOKE. ALOHA "

Only way to decide is to smoke one.