What's new

Has anyone had the Atabey and the Behike?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have smoked both. My local B&M carries them. The Atabey doesn't hold a candle to the Behike. I paid $32 for one and all I got was tobacco flavor. Bought a box of ten Behike 54 for $320. Let it sit in my wineador foe six months. I smoked one and tasted cocoa, leather, cedar and a little grassiness. Wonderful 2 hour smoke. Will not buy any more Atabey's. Although their packaging is very pretty. Great artwork on the boxes and jars. Not worth it. To me anyway.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I had a bunch of these at one time. Then something happened. Some know, some don't. But it's left a scar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have smoked both. My local B&M carries them. The Atabey doesn't hold a candle to the Behike. I paid $32 for one and all I got was tobacco flavor. Bought a box of ten Behike 54 for $320. Let it sit in my wineador foe six months. I smoked one and tasted cocoa, leather, cedar and a little grassiness. Wonderful 2 hour smoke. Will not buy any more Atabey's. Although their packaging is very pretty. Great artwork on the boxes and jars. Not worth it. To me anyway.
My curiosity around this cigar is now beginning to fade away. I guess I had hoped this may be a sleeper cigar that some how stayed out of main stream. But after seeing everyone's posts here and after reading a bit about the cigar it self, I can see there is a bunch of self serving involved here. I first heard of the Atebay via a podcast I was listening to. They were ranting and raving about it and even named it the Cigar of the Year in 2012. I did a search to find out where can I find this beast, and it turned out the guy who runs the podcast, who happens to own 3 cigar stores in NH also happened to be one of the only people who carried the cigar.

So even though he moves millions in product every year, he still must benefit in some way by selling probably the most expensive cigar that he has even if it really isn't that great.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I was gifted a BHK from one of the true brothers on this board and admittedly, this was one of the best cigars I have ever smoked. I would love to try a side-by-side smoke off.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Just like a fake "cuban" cigar... I have absolutely no interest in a cigar when I don't know what type of tobacco is in it, where it's from, info etc. Combine that with the price tag, makes me think they are just selling the packaging/marketing/mystique of this cigar vs the actual quality/flavor. Big pass for me...

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
My curiosity around this cigar is now beginning to fade away. I guess I had hoped this may be a sleeper cigar that some how stayed out of main stream. But after seeing everyone's posts here and after reading a bit about the cigar it self, I can see there is a bunch of self serving involved here. I first heard of the Atebay via a podcast I was listening to. They were ranting and raving about it and even named it the Cigar of the Year in 2012. I did a search to find out where can I find this beast, and it turned out the guy who runs the podcast, who happens to own 3 cigar stores in NH also happened to be one of the only people who carried the cigar.

So even though he moves millions in product every year, he still must benefit in some way by selling probably the most expensive cigar that he has even if it really isn't that great.
welcome to the great world of hype, sir. they are NEVER worth the hype. none of them. EVER. find what you like, and enjoy it to the fullest, and f#@k what anyone else says. don't get me wrong, there are cigars worth a chase. worth secondary market pricing, even. but they are never worth as much as someone else says. they are worth what YOU feel they are worth. which is why you see so many of us trying everything, and so many others only going after a select few releases; learn where you are at, and what works for you. that, at it's heart, is the real journey.

and, FWIW, i have had these recommended by a solid dude here. not worth the coin, but a very good cigar, very mellow, and well worth trying if you could find them and justify the tag.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to have to disagree with some folks. I have smoked the BHK 52 and the BHK 54 as well as the Atabey Brujos and I think the Atabey is at least in the ballpark. If Cuban cigars are not something you are able to get your hands on for one reason or another...Atabey are a great cigar and can be held with some high prestige.

Are Atabey cigars difficult to come by? When I speak to other cigar smokers it isn't often that people have seen these let alone smoked them. Is the distribution limited? They have them at my local B&M and are usually around $22 a stick.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ultimately everyone's tastebuds are different, but I disagree. The Atabeys are good cigars, not great. A BHK54 when on is miles better. I guess I'll echo the sentiments of a few, consistency is key. In fact I'd say the Byrons from the same manufacturer are better than the Atabey. Atabey is a $12-14 dollar cigar with fancy packaging and secrecy to bump sales.