What's new

Has anyone used a copper lined humidor to store cigars?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Antique, copper lined, end table type humidors often appear on the local Craigslist. Are these functional cigar storage or are they more "just a neat piece of furniture"?

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Antique, copper lined, end table type humidors often appear on the local Craigslist. Are these functional cigar storage or are they more "just a neat piece of furniture"?
I can't answer your question directly, but I would think as long as it held humidity in, it'd be good. I've seen several older humi's advertised with copper or even milkglass myself.
A few boxes in them should provide enough Spanish cedar for aging.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
depends on the seal.can be both.
they were popular for decades, I have seen very nice ones, and junk.
If you can seal it, it will work fine.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have an end table passed down to me that was my Grandfather's. I never got the pleasure to know him because he passed before my Dad was even married. It is in great shape and seems to seal well, but I've never used it to store cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper was/is thought to have antimicrobial properties. It was observed that water contained in copper vessels or transported in copper conveyance systems was of better quality (little to no visible slime or biofouling formation) than water contained or transported in other materials. So the use of copper in humidors would have been done to fight cigar mold. The effectiveness of copper as an antimicrobial is still unclear. At best copper may enhibit but not prevent some, but not all molds.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Copper was/is thought to have antimicrobial properties. It was observed that water contained in copper vessels or transported in copper conveyance systems was of better quality (little to no visible slime or biofouling formation) than water contained or transported in other materials. So the use of copper in humidors would have been done to fight cigar mold. The effectiveness of copper as an antimicrobial is still unclear. At best copper may enhibit but not prevent some, but not all molds.
So I'll never get plume on my cigars?? Damn

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
That's why most raw water heat exchangers use copper/copper alloy tubes, prevent fouling from biomass as much as possible.
I often wonder if houses using pex tubing would see a difference in water quality if they had copper piping instead...

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Some hospitals have copper lined door handles to help enhibit growth of bacteria. Also, as an electrician, i deal with Cu a lot. I would be somewhat concerned about its metalic smell. Not sure if it would transfer over and affect flavor, but i would almost guarante your smokes would take on a copper smell.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have had this subject come up from time to time....a member on another board posted this and seems accurate

The use of copper was adequate for cigar storage, because it was basically inert in flavoring the tobacco, and because it retained humidity quite effectively....

Antique humidors were often lined with a nonreactive metal (e.g. tin or copper) to protect against mold and mildew growth. The lining should not pose any problem for long-term aging of fine habanos; indeed, all cigars were aged in a similar manner by millions who possessed a desktop box before 1960. Just so long as it keeps good humidity and the lid seals well. I believe the metal liners pre-date porcelain or milk glass, which was more common in the 1950's and later.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious if you ever found it suitable for storing or aging your cigars? I have one I am picking up tomorrow that I found online. Not going to be a primary humidor but if it holds humidity and seems safe enough, I plan on storing a few sticks in it to age maybe. Mainly worried about the rumored "copper penny taste" from using them. Your thoughts

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
With the vast choices in Tupperware available to us, I don't see any reason whatsoever to use one of these as an actual humidor.

Buy a Tupperware that fits inside and a boveda pack, and use the antique as a neat cabinet to store the tupperdore in.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I have one that came down through the family from my great grandfather. He passed away in the 1950's, long before I was born so I never knew him. When I was a child, my grandmother used it as a telephone stand and I never realized it was actually a humidor until years later.

I initially tried using it for storage but soon realized it did not hold humidity very well so mine falls into the "neat piece of furniture" category.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I have an end table passed down to me that was my Grandfather's. I never got the pleasure to know him because he passed before my Dad was even married. It is in great shape and seems to seal well, but I've never used it to store cigars.

Beautiful piece!