What's new

Have any of you brothers had a heart attack?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Woke up the morning after my 52nd birthday to a heart attack! Thank the lord my heart seem to be fine! I love smoking cigars. I have been collecting them for years.
Have any of you had a heart attack ? Do you still smoke cigars?

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Did they blame it on Cigars? I'd think the relaxation that comes from smoking cigars would be a deterrent to a heart attack... Do you inhale the cigars? A lot of people use a blanket to cover all smoking but even the CDC has considerably different stats for "premium cigar smoking without inhaling" vs smoking processed tobacco and inhaling

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks so much. They did not blame it on cigars at all. High blood pressure was the culprit. I smoked a cigar as I drove myself to the hospital "to relax".
I smoke 2 to 3 cigars a day and have worked around radon for 30 years. My lungs are clear as a bell. Just didn't know if smoking cigars raises your blood pressure or stimulates the heart.

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well maybe your cigar relaxation was the reason that you survived the heart attack ;) I'd like to believe that, but being an avid cigar smoker I'm pretty sure I'm not being impartial

Get well either way

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Man that's scary. I think you are the first person I know to have a heart attack and said afterward "my heart is fine". 2 or 3 a day is probably a bit much, the nicotine and other crap in tobacco still enters your blood stream through the lining of your mouth so you can experience higher blood pressure and glucose levels. How is that offset by the "relaxation" factor, dunno, maybe that's determined by how relaxed you get!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I did say seems to be. I do have a 40% blockage in a smaller stem. They didn't seem to think I needed a stent. Apparently the dye won't go down some of the smaller stems. Probably where the damage is. Pretty much what the doc said. Gonna cut back on the cigars, enjoy them too much to totally quit.
It was crazy! I am actually in pretty good shape. Just shitty genes
Thanks for the response

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I have not had a heart attack but I did have congestive heart failure. Docs could not really pin it on anything but said that my very high blood pressure and sleep apnea were the main culprits. They of course said smoking was bad and I need to stop but my doctor and I talked about it and she agreed that the relaxation was worth the trade off but I needed to cut down from 3-5 a day (I am down to 1 or 2 a day for the most part).

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My first attack was when I was 40...same for my older brother and my Dad...40 was a bitch for us. Had a stent at 41... another attack in my early 50s and another one last year...my health sucks as I suffer from various auto-immune diseases which mimic Lupus and RA.,..as my Doctor's at Mayo and John's Hopkins have told me,..I'm a shit magnet for health issues....☹

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks so much. They did not blame it on cigars at all. High blood pressure was the culprit. I smoked a cigar as I drove myself to the hospital "to relax".
I smoke 2 to 3 cigars a day and have worked around radon for 30 years. My lungs are clear as a bell. Just didn't know if smoking cigars raises your blood pressure or stimulates the heart.
Glad your still with us. I like your attitude though. The hell with calling an ambulance. Grabs a cigar and car keys.. Thats the spirit. Now I need to decide on a special "Last" cigar.
So many things in life that can kill you, I'm pretty sure cigars will be the least of your worries. I hope so anyway.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Glad your still with us. I like your attitude though. The hell with calling an ambulance. Grabs a cigar and car keys.. Thats the spirit. Now I need to decide on a special "Last" cigar.
So many things in life that can kill you, I'm pretty sure cigars will be the least of your worries. I hope so anyway.
Funny you should say that. It takes me forever to decide which cigar to smoke, now that it's "one a day".
Thanks for the well wishes from all

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks so much
The wife is already sick of the heart healthy diet.
Read the keto thread. Some of the recommended health diets don’t achieve what they’re supposed to. Heart healthy and ada especially.
You can still eat great and just stay away from sugar (glucose) and possibly see a lot of benefits. Also need to make sure your mineral and micronutrient intake is sufficient and in balance.
Just a suggestion, not medical advice, do your own thorough research.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Read the keto thread. Some of the recommended health diets don’t achieve what they’re supposed to. Heart healthy and ada especially.
You can still eat great and just stay away from sugar (glucose) and possibly see a lot of benefits. Also need to make sure your mineral and micronutrient intake is sufficient and in balance.
Just a suggestion, not medical advice, do your own thorough research.
Thanks! This will be a big change, we normally eat out. I appreciate any advice. Worse thing is the medication I'm on makes me so hungry! I ate 1.5 pounds of fruit and veggies for lunch! I never eat that much.
Thanks again. I will check out that thread.

irratebass

www.blindmanspuff.com
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thanks! This will be a big change, we normally eat out. I appreciate any advice. Worse thing is the medication I'm on makes me so hungry! I ate 1.5 pounds of fruit and veggies for lunch! I never eat that much.
Thanks again. I will check out that thread.
Fruit is bad for you mmmmkay

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Most of this stuff you will get used to not having. I gave up added salt, sugar and simple carbs years ago. The only thing I miss is rice and pasta. Now days when we go out to eat everything tastes salty to me,

Fruit does have a lot of sugar but the key is to eat fruits with lots of fiber. The fiber slows the absorption of the sugars. Fresh apples and pears with the skins, oranges are all good for you, just make sure you enjoy the peel,/pith and stay away from fruit juices. Plain Greek yogurt with Splenda or fresh fruit is a good alternative to sweets.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Most of this stuff you will get used to not having. I gave up added salt, sugar and simple carbs years ago. The only thing I miss is rice and pasta. Now days when we go out to eat everything tastes salty to me,

Fruit does have a lot of sugar but the key is to eat fruits with lots of fiber. The fiber slows the absorption of the sugars. Fresh apples and pears with the skins, oranges are all good for you, just make sure you enjoy the peel,/pith and stay away from fruit juices. Plain Greek yogurt with Splenda or fresh fruit is a good alternative to sweets.
Thanks for the reply! I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I don't think the Keto diet is going to work for me. I don't add salt to anything, but its in everything! I rarely ate red meat and never eat fast food. Sugar for me isn't a big deal, I don't eat candy and junk, but its in everything!
Its going to take me a while to figure all this out.If you have any thoughts or advice,I am all ears!
Cheers!