What's new

HDTV Help For The Technology Challenged *DECISION MADE*

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
I'm Jonesin' for a HDTV, but have no clue what to look for. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, I'd like to get something around $500.

1) Is that price possible for say a 40"?
2) What the hell is 1080p?
3) How many of them can you hook your computer up to?
4) What other features are mandatory to be sure it has?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure there's a ton of questions I'm not asking, but like I said, I've got no clue!

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hey bro,

Got to say it will be really difficult to find one in the 500 dollar range of any real quality.
1080p is the pixel rating or basicly the resolution of the tv.
you can hook them up to a computer but really only for gaming. you wouldn't want to sit a design a house on your 40" hdtv.
In that price range I know the built in hard disk or tivo type setup is out.
but other than that I'm not sure what other features you would be looking for. Probibly lots of inputs and output jacks, and component hook up, and maybe fiber optic inputs.

Hope that helps.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
1.) No, that price is not reasonable unless you get an off-brand and even then you're pushing it. But, I've seen some nice TVs for cheap recently. LMK and I'll be on the lookout online.

2.) This explains the difference between 720p-1080p. To sum it up, you really can't tell a difference between them: http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html?tag=ms

3.) I believe they have to have VGA source/plug to hook up to the computer or say PC compatible under the specs..

4.) I'd make sure it has a built-in HD Tuner (NTSC/ATSC is what to look for).

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
1.) No, that price is not reasonable unless you get an off-brand and even then you're pushing it. But, I've seen some nice TVs for cheap recently. LMK and I'll be on the lookout online.

2.) This explains the difference between 720p-1080p. To sum it up, you really can't tell a difference between them: http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5137915-1.html?tag=ms

3.) I believe they have to have VGA source/plug to hook up to the computer or say PC compatible under the specs..

4.) I'd make sure it has a built-in HD Tuner (NTSC/ATSC is what to look for).
Cliff has said it all ............
I may add....I had been looking for over a year, asking the same ?'s, Look and listen to the salesmen, go online do all the looking around u can, I think u can get a name brand for about $550.00, Most of them come with speakers.....Most Satilite and Cable are only coming in at 720 dpi, from what I saw last week, unless u r so tech-no-nerd your naked eye can't really see the differents, Once u find what u like try this http://www.epinions.com/search/?submitted_form=searchbar&search_vertical=all&tax_name=&search_string=LCD+Flat+screen+TV&searchbar_submit.x=33&searchbar_submit.y=15

Just an Idea to think about, When LCD/Flat screen 1st came out the Gov. (my office bought a 42" Sanyo) it was $4,000 then, same thing now $1,100+-, In the office we have it hooked to computers and Cable/Satilite TV (dispatchers have to stay awake at nite)..(watching the Vikes get beat by the Packer on Big Screen OMFG) :headroll: There is lots of great sales going right now.............Good Luck Wade

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
You might be able to work a deal somewhere this holiday season, but it probably won't be an advertised price. The prices have come down a lot the past 2-3 years and will continue to drop. Also I've read that the best time to shop for a TV is right after the Superbowl, due to the big decline in sales ... so if you can't find a great deal, then wait awhile if possible.

If not, try shopping for a smaller set in the 32" - 37" range. I bought a 32" Vizio (720P resolution) last year for $799 and have been very pleased with the picture. This same set is around $640 now.

Here is one 32" set at Costco selling for $499.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I just bought a Samsung 32" LCD for $699.00.
If you want something that big I would get a Plasma, more bang for your buck.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/televisions/hdtv/lcd-tvs/reports/lcd-vs.-plasma-tvs/why-buy-a-plasma-tv/lcd-and-plasma-tvs-0v2_1.htm

Look at the tv's contrast ratio.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/spec-wars/contrast-ratio-shoot+out-everyone-loses-259495.php

You can hook up a flat panel tv with DVI, HDMI and VGA to a computer.
Alot of people use computers with their flatpanel to watch movies and stuff. Its called a HTPC. I built one a while ago it works pretty good

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Also I've read that the best time to shop for a TV is right after the Superbowl, due to the big decline in sales ... so if you can't find a great deal, then wait awhile if possible.
Although it sure would be nice to watch the Packers kick the Patriots ass in the Super Bowl on my new HDTV, this does seem like pretty sound advice.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep an eye on this site. People find some great deals and post them out here: http://bensbargains.net/category/58.

In terms of less expensive models, Olevia (can purchase at Target) and Vizio (Costco, others) are most prevalent. You often find these at pretty low prices. There's a lot you can get bogged down on in terms of details about HDTV. As far as pic quality, specs are fine, but I prefer to actually see it in person if at all possible since there are many things that impact the quality of the picture--the best test is ask them to put in a HD DVD from an action movie (preferably one with dark scenes like one of the Star Wars, etc) so you can see how the set does in showing some of the more difficult scenes.

There's also the point of connections. Here, try to get the latest version of HDMI (1.3 is the latest; 1.2 or 1.2a probably sufficient for most needs) and as many ports as possible.

Happy Hunting! :smile:

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Probably either have to save up some more or compromise and get something smaller but 1080p so it will still look awesome. Then mount it on the wall too for ultimate coolness.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I shopped for my bigscreen two years ago, I visited a lot of stores with good hi def feeds. I stood back and looked at the pictures and narrowed it down from there. I went with sony because it had the sharpest picture. I would save some cash up and get a good quality set, either sharp or sony for lcd. Just my opinion, you can't go wrong with lcd. I don't think the cheaper sets have as nice of a picture. Good luck in your search, you may want to check out some audio video boards to do some research. I read up on different stuff for about 3 months before I took the leap.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Good info here, I need to get an HD setup soon. Watching the Giants at my friends house is killing me!