What's new

Headbanger Reverse Contest, Starting Reviews

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
What is YOUR favorite cigar? Not what I would like smoke, but what is something YOU think is the best smoke? That is why I call this a reverse contest. If you have what is takes or have a cigar that is the best, prove it to me. I will attempt to use a point system below to rate a cigar based on those characteristics. I personally do NOT like something that is very strong or has an extremely high nicotine content to knock me on my ass. I personally do not like smoking baseball bat size cigars either. Other than that, any cigar (see third rule below) can be sent and will be smoked and rated on the point system below.

RULES:

- No more than 10 people will be playing. If I ask for more players or too many sticks, this could go on too long.

- Those players will enter and send either 1 or 2 cigars that are completely unbanded with no mention whatsoever as to what they are, where they came from, how old they are, or what country they are from. Never mention that stick XXX is one Headbanger has in the contest or will not be judged. If there is a band or hint of any kind, that stick will not be judged and will be removed from the contest. This is to void any bias I may have and to level the playing field best as I can. Any extra sent beyond those 1 or 2 to be judged will not count toward the judging. No bonus for them either.

- Flavored, infused, or scented cigars will NOT be allowed. I do not want those flavors mixing with other cigars.

- All players shall be randomly assigned a letter A through J. Only they will know what letter I have assigned to them. When I judge the sticks and post my ratings for them I will reference the letter of the person and not the player’s name. When all sticks are smoked and the judging is completed, I will match the letters to a name to reveal them. I hope this keeps things mysterious and entertaining.

- Once we fill up with 10 players or there is no more interest, I will ask those players to label the baggie as stick 1 and stick 2 if sending two to tell them apart when I smoke them, potentially to be reveled at the end of the contest.

The plan - I plan on resting all the sticks for several weeks so all sticks are the same RH. Ideally I plan to smoke them randomly in my back yard on weekend’s 1 stick per day and only that stick. I will only be drinking water when smoking. I will try to write up tasting notes and assign the points scored as they are smoked.

Here is how I will attempt to rate the cigars on a 100 point system:

20 points on Appearance/Construction – I will be looking at overall quality of the sticks body, feet and cap. Are there soft or hard spots? Are there lots of veins or noticeable blemishes like water or large sun spots? Is the wrapper even or uniform in color? Does it smell nice?

10 points on draw – Does the stick draw too firm, too loose, or just right? Pre lit tastes and any flavors picked up from the wrapper.

15 points on burn – Does the stick burn evenly? Does it require touch ups and how many if I counted? Does the stick burn too fast or too slow? How does the ash look, evenly or otherwise? Does the ash fall off too easily? Does it stay lit?

30 points on flavor – Does the stick have good overall complexity? Does the flavor or taste change and how noticeable was the change? Were there distinct flavors?

10 points on finish – Does the taste and flavors linger nicely on the pallet? Are they metallic or other bad flavors?

15 points on summary – General post smoking thoughts start to finish. My overall enjoyment of the stick when finished. Would I buy the stick myself or buy a box?

Prizes:

Here is why I am doing the contest and why you should play. I am still trying new cigars and want to try what others currently think is the best; also having fun together at the same time. For your participation, I am offering the following prizes below based on 10 players. (Prizes are based on $15 per player and will be adjusted downward in that amount if less than 10 players join in a 60%, 30%, 10% payout).

1st place $90.00; I will purchase for you from a BOTL vendor of your choice a total prize up to $90.00. If you win first prize, you are not eligible to win 2nd and 3rd.

2nd place $45.00; I will purchase for you from a BOTL vendor of your choice a total prize up to $45.00.

3rd place $15.00 cash and a couple of my favorite cigars for you to try.

Well, that is all I can think of. If you’re not sure about anything, please PM or post your questions before signing up. The first 10 posts or PM’s (if you want to remain anonymous during the contest) to me that want to play will be accepted; so let the contest begin!

Players

Electric Sheep - Player J
Wasch_24 - Player G
Frankluke - Player D
IndyRob - Player F
Halon - Player B
Irritech - Player H
Tobby4 - Player C
jmatkins - Player E
Sarnone - Player I
earnold25 - Player A

Players & sticks to be remain annanamous till I smoke both of any particular sticks. I have assigned each player a letter to keep all unknow:

A1 85 pts. post # 305
A2 72 pts. post #199
B1 NR post # 304
B2 84 pts. post #200
C1 75 pts. post #322
C2 96 pts. post #198
D1 92 pts. post #256
D2 90.5 pts. post #169
E1 84 pts. post #288
E2 92 pts. post #244
F1 83 pts. post #262
F2 84 pts. post #216
G1 91 pts. post #300
G2 81 pts. post #217
H1 94 pts. post #212
H2 87 pts. post #261
I1 76 pts. post #301
I2 79 pts.post #243
J1 86 pts. post #164
J2 91 pts. post #289

WINNERS are:

C2 - TOBBY4 with 96 points
H1 - IRRITECH with 94 points
D1 - FRANKLUKE with 92 points

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I've got some aged Pineapple Phillies that are just begging to be sent to zipcode 20705 ...

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Tom, your best suited to thong Thursday, so get busy.

Duane, keep your herfdogs, they will not work in this contest.

Jason, Todd and other headscratchers, look again tomorrow.

Ted and Todd, Thanks but no thanks with the offers. :rofl:

Chuck, you guess? Sounds like you mean to say something else but being PC about it. Nice use of the capital O, now you understand me better I guess.