What's new

Headed to NOLA 4/20-4/25!

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
My 30th bday is in early April, and my Dad's 70th is in late April. To celebrate this year we are going to take a trip to NOLA. Any recommendations for can't miss spots, good cigar lounges, etc? Also, if anyone is near that area and wants to hook up with me and @wrench_bender, let us know!

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
One place you have to go is the Monteleone Hotel and have a Veaux Carre at the Carousel Bar in the lobby! It is the only rotating bar in the city. It may take awhile to get a seat at the bar. The Cigar Factory at 415 Decatur Street, or 206 Bourbon Street. La Habana Hemingway Cigar Bar I have not been here yet but it is highly recommended. The Mayan Import Company Inc at 3000 Magazine street, Magazine is my favorite part of town, It is less touristy than the quarter, more locals hang out there. Insectarium on Canal Street is another great thing to see. Where are you staying in the city? And do you plan to have a car?

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
One place you have to go is the Monteleone Hotel and have a Veaux Carre at the Carousel Bar in the lobby! It is the only rotating bar in the city. It may take awhile to get a seat at the bar. The Cigar Factory at 415 Decatur Street, or 206 Bourbon Street. La Habana Hemingway Cigar Bar I have not been here yet but it is highly recommended. The Mayan Import Company Inc at 3000 Magazine street, Magazine is my favorite part of town, It is less touristy than the quarter, more locals hang out there. Insectarium on Canal Street is another great thing to see. Where are you staying in the city? And do you plan to have a car?
We are still working out the fine details - probably looking to stay in the French Quarter somewhere, and not sure if we will have a car but I would imagine not with the availability of uber and lyft. We are currently trying to find an airbnb spot that can accommodate the 5 of us.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
The answer is: On your feet!
The newest is: I bet I can tell you what year you graduated.
The answer is: Your senior year!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm around and look forward to meeting up with you all. There are generally tables available at Mayan Imports on Exchange Place to smoke a cigar or at any of the other shops in the Quarter. La Habana Hemmingway is pretty cool spot but so is sitting on the river and having a smoke and cup of coffee while the ships go by.

If you get into history don't miss the D Day museum on Andrew Higgens Blvd. Higgens built the landing boats used in WWII at a plant on Lake Pontchartrain. Worth a trip on it's own. I believe they are now selling rides on a rebuilt PT boat. Catch the street car down St. Charles and walk to Commanders Palace Brunch is world renowned. I think they also have 25 cent martinis for lunch and/or happy hour? You'll pass Emerill's Delmonico on St. Charles. Great place just bring a fat wallet. Have a drink at Columns Hotel on St. Charles. The house was built by the owner of one of the largest cigar manufacturing plants in the country late 1800's. Beautiful bar and neat old building. Have breakfast at Stanley's in Jackson Square.

Catch the streetcar up canal st to Mandina's for good creole food or continue toward the cemeteries to Beach Comber bar for possibly the best cheese burger, and cold beer in town. It's by the cemeteries and they may be worth a visit.

Let me know what your plans are and maybe we can meet up or pm me if you have any questions.

memphsdad

Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Do any of the local bars allow you to smoke cigars inside? Is there any place with live jazz where you can smoke cigars?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wish I could tell you. There is music everywhere in the Quarter so just walking down the street will give you plenty of live jazz. The Cigar Factory by the river plays some pretty good music but it's not live. They have tables, rollers and great cigars. Lots of real good music outside by Jackson Square, just drop a couple of bucks in the guitar case.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Some of the greatest music in the world is played in the dives and bars in the "non-tourist" parts of town. Lighting a cigar in one of those places would just mask the marijuana smoke so I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem, with the cigar smoke that is. The tourist areas try to appeal to a larger audience so it may be more difficult to find a place. Call around to some of the cigar places and ask. I'm going to a Herf Wed pm sponsored by a B&M. I'll ask around for you.

Last edited:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love NO....so much to do there...so much to see! Beignets and coffee is a MUST at Cafe du Monde as you scarf them up in the morning and people watch. After a half dozen beignets and hi test coffee you'll have enough energy to climb Everest! JazzFest is a bucket-list item and spend a day driving out to the Oak Alley PLantation...buy a couple of muffalettas from Central Grocers to take with you to eat there...great day!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The dj at the AB event recommended Dos Jefes on Tchoupitoulas after 10 pm. Said it was safe. And they sell cigars. Live jazz. Check their Web site

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Have a great time, post up when you get settled in. Don't forget to go by the Cigar Factory on Decatur?, by the river.