What's new

Heatgun/DogBowl Roasting (Update)

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've read quite a bit about this roasting method and like the simplicity plus the larger batch capability so I decided to give it a shot.
I failed miserably!
Using a B&D 500/1000 heatgun and a 64oz dogbowl with 2 cups of green Columbian Huila Valencia, I set to work stirring and heating at the 500 setting until the beans began to pale. Then I switched to 1000 and continued heating towards first crack. I think this is where I messed up. At the higher heat setting I was afraid of scorching the beans so I kept the heat gun 4-5 inches away from the beans. I think this caused the roast to stall before first crack as after that I just couldn't seem to get them to crack. I should have reached first crack in about 10 minutes but as far as I could tell they never did. I stirred and roasted for about 45 minutes (way longer than it should have taken) and the beans did finally appear to be at about a city roast. Despite never hearing the crack the beans did enlarge in size from their green state.
They're not too bad appearance wise but they don't smell very good and they're not offgassing. I don't think I'll grind any of these to drink.
I plan to try again with less beans and a shorter gap between the HG and the beans.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Success!!! (i think)
I was out this evening doing a few batches in the FR+8 and couldn't resist trying another HG/DB batch.
I used one cup of Costa Rican Tarrazu La Minita. This time I held the gun a little closer. It was much easier with the smaller amount of beans. A bonus was that as the roast progressed I hardly had to stir since the air flow moved the beans around pretty well. First crack was clearly audible and pretty active. Second crack was easily recognizable as well. I took the roast shortly into second before stopping. Geez, the cracking kept going even after removing the heat! I didn't time it but the whole thing was prolly 10-12 minutes.
The beans smell good and they're resting in a mason jar 'til the weekend.
Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how the brew tastes!
Brian

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I did another batch this evening. One cup of Java - Blawan Estate. It came out pretty good but maybe a little on the dark side. I wasn't really too far into second crack but I think that since it takes longer to ramp up to first and second crack with this method it won't be necessary to go as far into second to get the roast I prefer as I do with the FR8.
I'm thinking that once I get this method down pat, I'm going to like the roasts it produces better than the FR8 since I believe the slower temp increase in the beans will give results closer to a drum roast than a fluid bed roast.