What's new

Hecto a Mano?

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
At the risk of exposing my ignorance here….

I've been shopping around for a box of Habanos and noticed sometimes there is a note to the affect of “handmade” or such next to the vitola description. Does this mean that most Habanos are machine made?

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
... oops, hecho a mano. You said most are handmade. How do I know when ordering which are and which aren't if it doesn't state in the description. Am I to assume that certain brands are always hecho a mano? Which ones? Or is it like AF who makes both handmade and machine made?

Edit: For instance: H.Upmann Epicures are listed with (Mano) as an added note and the Majestics are listed with (Handmade) next to the vitola name.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What you want to see is the "totally hand made". Hand Made can say they only finished the cigar by hand. IE the wrapper was applied by hand. This is not a hard fact but none the less it is a way to produce a bunch of cigars faster and still label them Hand Made.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
If you see celephane on a cuban then its usually the machine made. But cigars-review.org is a great resource and will let you know for sure!

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
Price is also in indication. Machine made are conciderably less than hand made. As Joshua stated, if its cuban and cello, it's often machine made. Specially if its got an easy tear tab. Also many of the the cheaper machine made already have a whole or punched for you..

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
ohpus said:
Price is also in indication. Machine made are conciderably less than hand made. As Joshua stated, if its cuban and cello, it's often machine made. Specially if its got an easy tear tab. Also many of the the cheaper machine made already have a whole or punched for you..
Yeah for the most part but sometimes you get weird things like the Fonsecas where I saw the price for the handmade KDT Cadetes was lower than the machine made Delicias. Though the Delicias are slightly larger vitola, neither of them are packed in cello as far as I know, cause all the fonsecas come wrapped in rice paper.