What's new

Heheheheeheh

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, so I've been out a couple of times since my first range report and figured it was time for another (especially since I could actually see improvement this time :rofl:). I went out this Sunday and arrived at the range around 10:30. It was PACKED full. Fortunately, quite a few of the folks at 100 yards had been there all morning so I only waited one "range revolution" to get a lane. I spent about 3 hours there and sent somewhere around 80 rounds down range. My first 4 rounds were by far the best. Unfortunately I was never able to match that first grouping. I also took some time to blast at some of the bowling pins set up on the berm. Hitting the fat bottom part was no challenge, but getting consistent hits on the top was a bit more difficult. At any rate, here's some pics:

My very first 4 shots. The lone shot high and right was my CCBS (Clean Cold Bore Shot). The three shot group below measured under a half inch center to center.

My third grouping, sorry, I forgot to bring the target with measurements but definately sub MOA on this one.

And another sub MOA group(barely) (My 7th I think):

And the entire target. I shot more than is shown here but this was my first 28 shots. All were Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain.

I also set up a target along the same lines as above later without the center dot and tried one round per square with Lake City M118LR 175 grain. I averaged ~.5 POA-POI (Point of Aim to Point of Impact) on that drill. So right around 1 moa I guess.

Certainly an improvement from my first outing. I still need to take her in for a trigger job to get it down to around 2.5 or so and get the extractor worked on. Might try to do that towards the end of the month as my weekends are going to be spent at Obedience trials next month.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Eh, not since last month Tom. I went out to a 565 yard shoot where they set up a string of clay pigeons glued to cardboard. Everyone lines up and you go down the line one by one. You get one shot. If you miss, it goes to the next guy, if you hit, you keep shooting until you miss. We went down the line 7 times. I had 7 empty shells. LOL.

Been too busy lately to get out, hope to soon.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Wow, been a while since I last posted on here. Went out yesterday morning with a friend from work and worked out the PBR at the 100 yard line again. Below is a picture of shots 4, 5 and 6. The first three weren't bad, but I pulled one badly. I actually cut this out of the target with my knife when I walked up to check it. It was just so pretty I figured it deserved preserving. :eyebrow:

The group measures .731 edge to edge (which you can see in the second picture. That means center to center the group was (.731 -.308 (diameter of the round)) = .423! Well under a half an inch at 100 yards. I can't do much better than that! Unfortunatley I never repeated the group, but overall it was a great day. I kept all of my groups fairly tight and also destroyed 4 clays that I threw out on the berm with 4 shots. Not much of a challenge considering their diameter, but fun none-the-less. I meant to pick up some marshmallow peeps for targets to celelbrate Easter, but didn't get around to it. :headroll:

Attachments

Last edited:

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thank you. The M1A1 is most definitely on the "gotta have" list. The guy next to me at the range was shooting a scoped Standard M1A1 with wood stock that was just gorgeous.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Why don't you get them targets that are bright yellow underneath. Helps seeing where you shot.

At first when I was reading this thread I thought you were gonna say you got somethin like an AR15.

Next time I am in Tampa you gotta meet up with my uncle and me and go shooting. I have only gone to shoot pistols with him, but he has a gun safe thats as tall as me filled with guns.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Josh, I actually have some of those targets. I do use them, but at times I want something smaller to aim at. The group you see was about 3 inches to the right and 1 inch high from where I was aiming at. When I went to that long range shoot my zero got messed up and I was working to correct that yesterday. If I had my zero correct you would have seen that group in an orange circle that I was using as a target.

Oh, and I already have an AR15. :thumbsup:

Sounds great! As always, let me know when you are in town.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
sounds like some nice shooting. Are you reloading or using factory?

A favoite target of mine is to take masking tape and run about ten pennies down it an inch or so apart, then double back on the tape to capture them all. If you hang it, thay stay fairly steady and you can shoot from the bottom up. The pennies just disapear on impact, but I've found a few in the berm with holes in them. Kinda neet.

You shooting off a rest, sandbags, bipod?

Anyway, sounds like fun, Sh*t hits the fan I'd like to be on your team.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thanks Mitch. That's factory ammo. Federal Gold Medal, 168. I really like the Penny idea, I'm going to have to try that next time out. Shooting off of a bench using a bipod and a squeeze bag under the stock. One of these times I'll move the damn bench over so I can shoot prone. I always mean to, but never seem to get around to it.

Pcozad1...Huh?