What's new

Hello from Afghanistan - and First Cigar Story

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm Dan, I'm 32 years old, and up until May 10, I had never used a tobacco product. Not one cigarette, not one dip, not one chew. My parents were also both non smokers.

Right now, I'm deployed in Afghanistan. I've always wanted to try a good cigar, and figured I would do so if I ever got the chance. Now that I've been here a while, it came to mind that a cigar would be a nice thing to try to relax aound here. So a couple days into May I decided to go out and get a cigar. Now, I admit, I'm not too stressed. I'm in the Air Force, and I've never been outside the wire. But we do get rockets shot at us every so often, and people have died from these attacks. And I'm talking people just randomly walking around who are in the wrong place at the wrong time. So, why not try a cigar?

Well, as luck would have it, the shoppette we have here was fresh out of cigars! Oh, they had the "Black & Milds" and "Swisher Sweets". But even as a noob, I knew enough to know those weren't real cigars. I wanted something good.

Up to this point, my cigar knowledge for the most part came from hearing Rush Limbaugh talk cigars from time to time. I knew that cigar smoke was aeromatic, and was more about flavor than nicotine. But I figures smoking one would be like a cigarette.

So, here I was, wanting a cigar, but none to be purchased. So, I started researching online over the ensuing days. It started with looking for videos on YouTube on how to smoke a cigar. I came across some nice videos from Cigar Aficionado. Although the two who made the videos really need to work on not sounding obviously contrived, I did get some good information, mainly on how and where to cut a cigar. I also learned about tobacco beetles, how cigars are made, how to choose a cigar, all that fun stuff.

My research continued by looking into both the JC Newman and Arturo Fuente brands. I looked into these two because the shoppette humidor had these two banners on the shelves. (Actually, it was Arturo Fuente and Cuesta Rey). I looked through the catalog learning about the different shapes, sizes, and models.

However, I still wasn't sure how to enjoy a cigar. I knew that I was supposed to draw in smoke, but without inhaling. However, I couldn't quite get my mind around how that is accomplished. So I looked again for videos on how to enjoy a cigar.

Then, I found the "Padron" saint of Cigar reviews, Bryan Glynn of CigarObsession. I watched his video on how to smoke a cigar, and my eyes were opened! He put it all, cutting, toasting, and smoking, into one outstanding how-to. But the true revelation occurred when he said drawing a cigar is like sucking through a straw. Now that, as a non-smoker, was something I could identify with! Sure, I've drank lots of stuff through straws, and when you suck with a straw, you don't inhale the liquid. Now I knew "how" to do it!

I started watching as many of his reviews as I could with my slow 21kB/s highly overpriced internet connection (I could almost buy a box of cigars with what I pay per month for internet) Needless to say, my interest only grew. In fact, his review of the BOTL cigar led me to this site.

So during one of my daily shoppette visits, I wrote down all the names on the price labels for the cigars they would have. Turns out they were all JC Newman brands - Cuesta Rey Centenario Riviera, Pyramid #9, Robusto #7, Cabinet Collection #95, Brickhouse Robusto, La Unica 400, and an oddball - Rigolleto Donald. Sadly, despite the Arturo Fuente banner, no labels indicating an Arturo Fuente cigar.

Armed with this, I left to check out the reviews for these, but didn't find much. At Cigar Aficionado, the Cuesta Reys would range from the low 80s to low 90s, and most of the reviews ware on very old releases. So I turned to Mr. Glynn's youtube reviews, and found that he had tried the Brickhouse Robusto. So I watched that review, and he stated that it would be a great cigar for a new smoker. Hey, I'm a new smoker, I thought, so that's the one I'll try!

The next day when I checked after my shift... they had cigars! All those wonderful sticks in varying shades of brown filled with stuff that the tobacco cessation people tell me will cause my mouth and throat to break out in hideous golfball sized cysts if I ever got too close to one that was lit. I had to try one.

Now, let me pause for a moment to state that at this point, I had waited over a week for the cigars to come in. So nobody can say I did this on a whim with no thought at all.

So, I purchased two Brickhouse Robustos - one for me, and one for a friend who smokes cigarettes, and a Cuesta Rey Centenario Pyramid #7. I had intended to smoke the brickhouse the next day with my friend, but low and behold, when I got back to my room after eating dinner, the internet was off. Now, when the internet is off around here, it usually means one thing: one of us died. (They do this so the family is notified officially, as opposed to somebody's Facebook update) So, I figured neither me or my buddy had anything to do, so I headed on over to the shop for a smoke. (Nothing going on that night, so we weren't neglecting anything)

Once I got my cigar out of the cellophane, I gave it a good sniff. Barnyardy, and a smell of manure. But also an undertone of chocolate. The wrapper looked nice and smooth with tight seams. After we butchered the caps of our cigars with razor blades (no cigar cutters available at the shoppette), we headed out to light up.

It was a comfortable evening in Afghanistan, partly cloudy, not too hot or cold, and the bugs weren't bugging us. Light breeze, partly cloudy, with the quater moon in the sky.

I dedicated the cigar to whomever died, and a little prayer for the family. Then, we started toasting as shown in the videos, and found out it's harder than it looks. And the fact we were using $1.00 BIC lighters probably didn't help. We eventually got a good light on both our cigars, as confirmed by blowing on the cherry to assure an even light.

I wasn't sure what to expect. Probably a horrible taste (since I had heard cigars are an acquired taste) or an overpowering tobacco taste of some sort. I wasn't sure if I would start gagging like people do on TV and movies when they first try a cigarette, or if my eyes would water and burn.

The moment of truth.

I took a light draw, and let the smoke out of my mouth. Hmmm, not bad! I took another puff. The smoke was nice and cool just like Mr. Glynn said it would be. A definite taste in my mouth, but as with the other new cigar smokers I had read from online, nothing I could really put my finger on. But there was nothing negative about the experience.

My friend said that he was suprised at the experience. It was nothing like a cigarette, and was more pleasant. But again, no real discerneable flavors.

So we sat there puffing away, when we heard an announcement over the giant voice (public address system) that confirmed our fears. Hero Ceremony at the passenger terminal. Indeed, somebody had died.

So we continued to puff away. We talked about the war, family, religion, and various other random topics.

I got to a point in my cigar where I didn't notice the wrapper burning, and it seemed to be cooling off. Apparently I wasn't puffing often enough as we talked. So I had to relight and get it going again, and it kept going for a little while, getting maybe 3/4" of ash, but eventually started tunneling again. Another relight, and I decided I probably wasn't puffing properly. Being a brand new cigar smoker, I was taking light slow puffs. It was at this point that I started taking more long drawn out puffs. This seemed to help, but since I hadn't cut off the tip to re-light properly, I kept having issues. Also, the wrapper leaf started to come off from my hack job of cutting. Eventually the cigar smoke got too hot as I got down to the last two inches, so I called it quits. But we probably had a good hour and a half of smoke time. And I had a suprisingly good buzz, which I wasn't expecting.

And so, that was my very first cigar, and indeed my first tobacco product ever.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part II for those who are either 1) Not bored to tears, or 2) haven't finished their cigar yet.

The next day I purchased three more cigars - a La Unica 400, a Cabinet Collection #95, and a Brickhouse Robusto. I got a second brickhouse because I wanted to see if my impression of it changed once I got a few cigars under my belt.

However, turns out I got ahead of myself. I had thought the celophane would be sufficient, but I looked online to be sure. Turns out they will maybe last a day in the celo. Oh no! With my new cigars on the line, I tried to divise a humidor.

Now, keep in mind, I'm on a forward base in Afghanistan. So the normal solution of going to the cigar store, and picking up a humidor, humidification device, and hygrometer wasn't an option. And it takes at least 3 weeks for shipments from the states to get here. Time to improvise, adapt, and overcome. So, I ended up taking a large travel mug that I had cleaned out. I slightly damped a folded facial tissue, and placed it in the bottom. I then put the cigars in, cap side down since that was the sealed end of the celophane, and put this into a small plastic trash bag. The travelmugador was born! Then I headed over here, registered an account, and posted a thread asking for advice on a "Duct Tape and Zip Tie" humidor. I got all sorts of great suggestions, and even an offer to send me a small travel humidor to get me by. I modified my travelmugador slightly, and decided to get some zip lock bags at the shoppette the next day.

Well, the next day came, and I had an idea. The manager of the shoppette seemed like a cool guy, and seemed interested when I told him I was wanting to try my first cigar. (This was when I was trying to figure out how long until they got cigars in) So, I checked the humidor, and they had two boxes of the Brickhouse Robustos, one of which had just 4 cigars left in it. So I went back and asked if there was a way I could buy just the box. Well, he gave me the box for free! So now I have a nice cedar cigar box with two cedar blocks in it. No more travelmugador! However, it was still suggested here that I put it into a ziplock bag, so I will have to acquire some tomorrow.

Later this day, I smoked my second cigar, the Cuesta Rey Centenario Pyramid #9, which at $8.50, was the most expensive cigar carried at the shoppette. Although it was a pyramid, cutting went better. I carefully cut around the tip, maybe 2/3 of the way from where it started to taper. I got a small cap off, and was left looking at the filler leaves. I did a test draw and found it to my liking. So I carefully cut through the little dome of filler leaves that was left. This time I got a darn near perfect cut. The aroma of the cigar was more like hay, and I didn't detect the manure or chocolate note that I did with the brickhouse. The wrapper looked really nice to me. We headed outside to smoke. My friend had purchased for himself the Cuesta Rey Centenario Robusto #7. Now unafraid of the cigar, I gave it nice slow long puffs from the start.

This one I would describe as having a milder cleaner smoke. Not as thick as the Brickhouse. Even when I held the smoke in my mouth for a few seconds, I didn't get as strong a taste. I liked this one better than the brickhouse. But again, no specific flavors I could pick out.

This time I had a great burn. The ash was over an inch long when it finally fell. After the ash fell, I inspected the tip. A nice perfect dome of cherry! This one was going much better. The ash fell off once more closer to the end. Toward the last couple inches, I did have to touch it up as one side of the wrapper leaf stoped burning. This may be because I was overpuffing this time around. It was nothing too serious, but I did have to touch up twice near the end. I got down until I had an inch left. The cigar eventually went out on me, likely because I had really slowed down my draw so that the smoke would not be too hot. But since I got down to the last inch, I was satisfied that I was successfully able to "nub" the cigar without having to do a relight. This time, I had drank a Dr. Pepper while smoking, so the buzz effect was much less pronounced. Either that, or my body got used to the nicotene from last time.

And so there it is, my first and second cigar! We plan to smoke another sometime late next week. I want to try to get what little age I can on these so I can see if the brickhouse changes once I get back to it. Hopefully I can keep the humidity in the cigar box correct without the aid of a hygrometer.

JP8

USAF Retired
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Welcome aboard my Air Force brother. This is a great place to learn aboat cigars and share experiences. This place was a lifeline for me when I was deployed. I hope you stick around.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Hello Dan and :welcome:. We are glad to have you join us and I am sure you will enjoy the forums and camaraderie as well. Thank you for your service. Be safe brother.