What's new

Hello from Australia

Steve0

Cigar noob
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been doing some research onabout cigars today and stumbled on this forum, as am a member of a forum for everything else I am into it makes sense I join you all so I can learn more about cigars.

I was introduced to cigars around 20 yrs ago and up until now, normally only allowed myself to enjoy them when i am on holidays or travelling OS as a treat. Mainly Cohibas over the years but I did discover montecristos while in europe last year.

Anyway long story short, i ordered two boxes of cc today & also started looking more into how to look after them so they taste right which is how I ended up here. A lot of what I have purchased locally over the years seems stale and its only really when travelling in asia for work I seem to get really nice cigars. Now i am starting to understand why ( incorrect storage).

I also ordered a electric humidor today to get me started. Its a small one that will hold a 100 ct which i assume means 100 sticks.

Well there is my intro and I look forward to learning lots here.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Welcome Steve0 If a humidor is rated for 100 cigars they usually mean Very Small Cigars I am not familiar with that small of an electric humidor, do you mean humidifier?

Open another Carlton and get comfortable, there is a lot to learn.

Steve0

Cigar noob
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After a bit more reading I cancelled the order. Looks like coolers are the way to fly. More reading to do indeed.

Thanks for the warm welcome

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A cooler (ice chest)? is a great option if the area you keep it in is the temperature you want to store your cigars. I live in a hot muggy climate and my indoor temperatures during the summer are normally in the upper 70s to low 80s when not running the air conditioning full time so I use a NewAir Cigar Cooler and a couple of repurposed refrigerators to store my cigars.

Bovedas are the go to humidification system unless you end up with a very large cabinet humidor that requires some type of active humidification.

Steve0

Cigar noob
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks, I do feel welcome. Been focused on storage the last day and learned how critical temperature and RH are to storage. I have 45 cc's on the way to get my collection started.

I also found a thermo electric cooler today for 200 AUD delivered, pretty happy with that. The journey continues :)

Steve0

Cigar noob
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all for the welcome and forum content , learning a little more each day.

My first box order is somewhat delayed so I got myself a single while in town the other day, a Partagas series P #2 which I rather enjoyed. I read on here they are quote nice and turns out the stories were true :giggle:

My new wine cooler also arrived for the conversion project and now the hunt for a local supplier of Spanish cedar begins.

Steve0

Cigar noob
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all, got a second delivery this week so the collection is starting to take shape.

Added some Partagas Series P as of last night as I really liked the single I got the other day, shad to grab some more.

My Boveda packs also arrived, now added to the large Tupperware container I am using until I source shelves for my project.

Had to try a Cohiba the other night when they got delivered, oh man I missed that taste and smell. Had one with a cheeky whisky ( or two)....It really made my day.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
After a bit more reading I cancelled the order. Looks like coolers are the way to fly. More reading to do indeed.

Thanks for the warm welcome
Get a cooler for $30-50, get some large boveda packs, and you are good to go! Wine coolers or cigar coolers are absurdly over rated and fairly pointless unless you live in a climate with extreme heat. Even then, if your house is 72-75%, they are pointless and far too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk