What's new

Hello From Miami

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been poking around these message boards for a few months - learning a number of useful things. ("Dry boxing" is a thing? Who knew? But I'll be damned if it doesn't work.) Two weeks ago I decided to register and participate. It's apparently loosely mandatory to offer an introduction before posting in the other fora: I cheated and posted an image in the "Today's Smoke" thread yesterday. I trust no one will strenuously object to my bending the rules this once.

Over the years I had only occasionally smoked cigars, and then only when someone gave me one. Sometimes I liked it and thought I should smoke more often, sometimes not. A year and a half ago I spent a weekend at my sister's home and spent a couple enjoyable hours with my brother-in-law and a couple of his excellent cigars. It convinced me to one day learn enough to pick out my own.

Just over a year ago my job moved from NYC to Miami, and I moved with it. One day while strolling around my new neighborhood with my wife I saw a cigar store and declared my intention to go in and buy a handful. My wife was somewhat surprised, but not unpleasantly so. What the hell, I figured, I'm in Miami, after all.

This journey has just begun, but I have noted that I really like full-flavored cigars - maduros and the like. I've made a bunch of mistakes, and I'll probably make a lot more, but so what? In the not too distant future I will probably post questions about my humidor, ask for some lighter advice, and give a shout-out to a couple B&M stores that I have discovered. I thank in advance those who will take the time to answer my queries and, together, we will expand the knowledge base here.

Just a few biographical details, but not too much; if I stick around long enough some of the rest will be revealed: I grew up in a small (tiny, really) town in New England. Married to the same wonderful woman for a long time. Served in the Army, lo these many years ago, in the infantry - a fact that people who know me today find astonishing. (It astonishes me a little, too, even though I know it happened. If I had to ruck up and carry a rifle at this point in my life I wouldn't last long.) I've lived in Pennsylvania and California and Korea and New York and New Jersey. All places I never would have imagined living; and now Miami - another place I never would have imagined living.

I work in an office - in the headquarters of a fairly large privately-held corporation. When people ask I struggle to explain what I do for a living, so I won't relate that other than to say it's a nice place to work, demanding, and I make a decent living. Enough, anyway, that I can buy more cigars than I need. I'm fortunate in that regard and in many others.

I like good beer: pale ales and porters and Vienna lagers and so many others. And good bourbon and occasionally a single malt. And cabs and zins and pinot noirs. I like good food - too many kinds to list. I enjoy photography, though who the hell has the time anymore? I like dogs. Dogs like me.

Anyone who has read this far has probably figured out that I can be long-winded, at least at times. You might also think I am a serious person, but nothing is further from the truth: I live my life in an almost constant state of bemusement, and I am very, very sarcastic.

Anyway, see you around.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been poking around these message boards for a few months - learning a number of useful things. ("Dry boxing" is a thing? Who knew? But I'll be damned if it doesn't work.) Two weeks ago I decided to register and participate. It's apparently loosely mandatory to offer an introduction before posting in the other fora: I cheated and posted an image in the "Today's Smoke" thread yesterday. I trust no one will strenuously object to my bending the rules this once.

Over the years I had only occasionally smoked cigars, and then only when someone gave me one. Sometimes I liked it and thought I should smoke more often, sometimes not. A year and a half ago I spent a weekend at my sister's home and spent a couple enjoyable hours with my brother-in-law and a couple of his excellent cigars. It convinced me to one day learn enough to pick out my own.

Just over a year ago my job moved from NYC to Miami, and I moved with it. One day while strolling around my new neighborhood with my wife I saw a cigar store and declared my intention to go in and buy a handful. My wife was somewhat surprised, but not unpleasantly so. What the hell, I figured, I'm in Miami, after all.

This journey has just begun, but I have noted that I really like full-flavored cigars - maduros and the like. I've made a bunch of mistakes, and I'll probably make a lot more, but so what? In the not too distant future I will probably post questions about my humidor, ask for some lighter advice, and give a shout-out to a couple B&M stores that I have discovered. I thank in advance those who will take the time to answer my queries and, together, we will expand the knowledge base here.

Just a few biographical details, but not too much; if I stick around long enough some of the rest will be revealed: I grew up in a small (tiny, really) town in New England. Married to the same wonderful woman for a long time. Served in the Army, lo these many years ago, in the infantry - a fact that people who know me today find astonishing. (It astonishes me a little, too, even though I know it happened. If I had to ruck up and carry a rifle at this point in my life I wouldn't last long.) I've lived in Pennsylvania and California and Korea and New York and New Jersey. All places I never would have imagined living; and now Miami - another place I never would have imagined living.

I work in an office - in the headquarters of a fairly large privately-held corporation. When people ask I struggle to explain what I do for a living, so I won't relate that other than to say it's a nice place to work, demanding, and I make a decent living. Enough, anyway, that I can buy more cigars than I need. I'm fortunate in that regard and in many others.

I like good beer: pale ales and porters and Vienna lagers and so many others. And good bourbon and occasionally a single malt. And cabs and zins and pinot noirs. I like good food - too many kinds to list. I enjoy photography, though who the hell has the time anymore? I like dogs. Dogs like me.

Anyone who has read this far has probably figured out that I can be long-winded, at least at times. You might also think I am a serious person, but nothing is further from the truth: I live my life in an almost constant state of bemusement, and I am very, very sarcastic.

Anyway, see you around.
Long winded but good reading. Wish I were in Miami now smoking a Liga Privada or Perdomo 20th Anniversary. It's cold, raining and miserable in Philly today. Might have to smoke inside, which is OK, but not for March. I love baseball. Season starts Monday for the Phillies. I like your booze favorites. Too many good beers and bourbons to choose from