What's new

Hello from NJ

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Brothers.

I am a cigar newbie from NJ. I started my journey in April 2020 when the world went to shit. I guess the cigar hobby was one of the few good things that came out of it. From last couple of years I've been reading books about cigars, watching reviews and documentaries, visiting forums and of course smoking these amazing handicrafts. Have made quite a few mistakes along the way in storing my cigars, but learning each and every day. I absolutely love this hobby and would love to learn as much as I can about it. I don't yet have a refined palate, all I can detect is whether it tastes good to me or not, but hopefully I will have in some time.

My favorite sticks that I have had so far are Padron 1926 No.2, a 2 year aged My Father Le Bijou, Opus X Lost City Robusto and Leaf by Oscar.

Besides cigars, I have a deep passion for rum and scotch. My other interests not pertaining to cigars and brown spirits are reading, hiking, software development, gym, cooking and horror movies.

Looking forward to engaging more with the group and learning and contributing in any way I can.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Brothers.

I am a cigar newbie from NJ. I started my journey in April 2020 when the world went to shit. I guess the cigar hobby was one of the few good things that came out of it. From last couple of years I've been reading books about cigars, watching reviews and documentaries, visiting forums and of course smoking these amazing handicrafts. Have made quite a few mistakes along the way in storing my cigars, but learning each and every day. I absolutely love this hobby and would love to learn as much as I can about it. I don't yet have a refined palate, all I can detect is whether it tastes good to me or not, but hopefully I will have in some time.

My favorite sticks that I have had so far are Padron 1926 No.2, a 2 year aged My Father Le Bijou, Opus X Lost City Robusto and Leaf by Oscar.

Besides cigars, I have a deep passion for rum and scotch. My other interests not pertaining to cigars and brown spirits are reading, hiking, software development, gym, cooking and horror movies.

Looking forward to engaging more with the group and learning and contributing in any way I can.
Been collecting for over 30 years and recently lost a few hundred cigars to tobacco beetles. You can never be too new or too old to get caught but those little f**kerz.

There is a Habanos SA lounge near me that serves decent booze. There one of the workers turned me on to Ron Zacapa Solera (depite having a 23 in the name the rum is NOT 23 years old but is blended with something that might be 23 years old). It pairs really well neat with a cigar due to the slight sweetness. I'm no rum expert but I've been stocking up on this bottle.

I'm a scotch guy since I was a teenager but usually only pair one out of six smoke with a scotch, not sure why. Would rather pair with nothing or rum or cognac or even some sweet cordial such as a sambuca or Tia Maria.

Padron's are great, even just the regular lineup.

Welcome

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been collecting for over 30 years and recently lost a few hundred cigars to tobacco beetles. You can never be too new or too old to get caught but those little f**kerz.

There is a Habanos SA lounge near me that serves decent booze. There one of the workers turned me on to Ron Zacapa Solera (depite having a 23 in the name the rum is NOT 23 years old but is blended with something that might be 23 years old). It pairs really well neat with a cigar due to the slight sweetness. I'm no rum expert but I've been stocking up on this bottle.

I'm a scotch guy since I was a teenager but usually only pair one out of six smoke with a scotch, not sure why. Would rather pair with nothing or rum or cognac or even some sweet cordial such as a sambuca or Tia Maria.

Padron's are great, even just the regular lineup.

Welcome
Oh wow! Recently became aware of these little scourges of tobacco. Thankfully I have not had this problem as of yet because my collection is less than a hundred cigars :p, but sooner or later I will encounter them (hope not).

Yep I've tried the Ron Zacapa Solera and it does pair really nice! If you are in a lookout for a great rum, give a shot at any of the Foursquare Exceptional Cask Series .They (Foursquare) are from Barbados and produce some of the most flavorful rums in the market today (without any added sugar or caramel color, so a pure product). They are fully aged in the tropics where the rate of evaporation of alcohol is much higher than in a more temperate environment (Scotland for example). It is bottled high strength and is aged for full 12 years. Foursquare 2009 is a good place to start. It's a beautiful spirit and goes v nicely with cigars.

I'm with you on not pairing scotch with cigars (most of the time it does not work for me), but Deanston 12 has been an exception and to my palate goes really well with some medium bodied sticks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info from the new guy from JC. I lived in Jersey City from 1993 to 2002. Things were very different back then. Grove st, Morris st, Washington st, Sussex st, Barrow st and my last place was on Warren st, same block as the light horse tavern. Then I hightailed it outta dodge and landed near the equator.

I will try to find that Foresquare, thanks for the recommendation (y)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info from the new guy from JC. I lived in Jersey City from 1993 to 2002. Things were very different back then. Grove st, Morris st, Washington st, Sussex st, Barrow st and my last place was on Warren st, same block as the light horse tavern. Then I hightailed it outta dodge and landed near the equator.

I will try to find that Foresquare, thanks for the recommendation (y)
I live in Grove Street! And light horse tavern is where I had my first date with my now wife :). Funny how small the world is.