What's new

Hello from Texas

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I am pretty much a newb to cigars. I have smoked a few over the years but never really knew any etiquette or anything like that. I want to get more into this hobby but not quite sure where to start.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats good. I am not quite sure where to even get started. I was going to join one of those cigar club monthly packages but figured I would do some research in a forum like this one first.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from Conroe.

I'd say just sample away. Not necessarily join a cigar of the month group (some of their selections are horrid) but try stuff. Whether you base it on a band, brand, wrapper etc just sample a bit and expand your palate. After a bit, you'll find a brand that appeals to you.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm not excited about cigar clubs but then again I've never joined one. You may want to go by the local Brick and Mortar (B&M) and talk to the proprietor. Give them an idea of what you want to try and pickup a couple of singles. Once you get it narrowed down to mild, medium or full you can start trying different cigars in that flavor profile. The B&M should also have sample packs that they can recommend.

You gotta smoke em to find out if you like em.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
BTW, there are innumerable you tube videos about how to light, how to smoke, how to taste, and proper etiquette. The forum is always willing to help.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
All the best from Buffalo, brother! :cigar: With respect to etiquette, you'll get a broad spectrum of opinions. Etiquette to me entails:

1. Since cigar smokers form an awesome brotherhood (y) , mocking what someone else smokes is inherently un-brotherly (n). There's no "best" cigar out there (despite what Cigar Aficionado might say) :rolleyes:. Davidoff, Opus X and Pardon might all be world-class sticks; but are they worth the money? That's an individual decision (FWIW, dozens of mid-range cigars have blown my doors off without breaking the bank).

2. Don't blow smoke in another
smoker's face. :stop:

3. Avoid snuffing out your cigar like a
cigarette -- it creates a foul odor. Just let her burn out with her dignity intact! ;)

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Welcome to the asylum! Just post any questions you may have, also search for answers, as many questions have been asked. As always many are ready and willing to answer questions. First discover what you like, which means try different vitolas, different blends, and different brands, you may keep a notebook if your memory is like mine, as i suffer from CRS. Also try to avoid bias by others, as your taste are probably different than any others taste. Your buddy may recommend a stick and you find it awful, be brave enough to admit you don't like it. Also be willing to try it again in a few months to come because your taste will change. If you are just starting I would suggest buying 5 packs and avoid buying boxes for some time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the great welcome. I have stopped at my local B&M and picked up an Alec Bradley Toro pack that was recommended by the shop staff.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Good start, you'll probably outgrow them but AB is a decent, all round, affordable cigar. AB was my 1st 5 pack sampler from the local B&M

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Welcome to BOTL from Long Island, NY!

Buckle up for a real slippery slope!

There was plenty of solid suggestions that some of the guys posted above me and I too will agree with them.

Also, browse the "today's smoke" thread to see what we're all smoking as well.

Sent from my cellular device via tap to talk

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
If you find yourself in Texas City or League City, look for a B&M called El Cubano. Went there last week and had a great experience. They roll their own cigars, with 8 different blends. They don't carry other brands, only theirs. Sticks are very reasonable prices. But the smokes are extremely great. I smoked a Dominican and it was awesome. They have a place to smoke and have coffee, what a great pairing. So one Saturday it would be worth a day trip, and then go to Kemah and get some fresh seafood!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I don't get out that way too often. But my job has me travel between college station,Waco,and San Antonio though. Maybe I'll luck out and come across a place lime that out this way.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Welcome from Grand Prairie TX! Research storage first. Trust me, you are going to need it. Main things to consider is temp control and RH% There is a lot of help on here. Kitty Litter is your friend (unscented that it). Enjoy the journey (or fall).