What's new

Hello from the Arkansas Ozarks!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a party to a forum or two, but never have I been welcomed in such a fine manner. But then, every cigar lover I have ever met has been a welcoming and loving creature. It's the essence of the experience, I suppose.

I was doing some consulting work in Springfield, IL not long ago and met a true example of this. He sat alone on a bench outside the hotel where I was staying, puffing on what I could tell from the aroma was a delicious puro. Of course I had to barge in and ask what the stick was, right?

I don't have to tell you what he did next... he offered me one. Well, I accepted, but only on the condition that he trade for one of my own. His Romeo y Julietta and my La Gloria Cubana Serie R wafted over the courtyard like a magical mist.

I say magical because this guy is about as polar opposite of me as you can get. He's a 65 year old African American born in the heart of dirt-poor Louisiana, living in Chicago, retired government bureaucrat, rooting for Obama. Normally I would have used the opportunity of speaking with a gentleman of this political persuasion to bring him to his senses politically and show him the error of his ways. But instead, we sat there for over an hour talking about his youth in Louisiana, the struggles his family had to endure, the opportunities he availed himself of, my lilly-white background, and any number of other topics.

We never agreed on the politics, but we both thoroughly enjoyed discussing it through the cloud of premium tobacco and parted as new-found friends.

If more people would just fire up a stogie with the guy across the aisle from him, we'd all be in a better place.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but your welcoming me here inspired me. Thanks again for giving of yourselves. Flame on!

Greg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome aboard! golfer?
Yeah, Swampy, I'll hack through a round or two. Planning a trip to Ireland for a tournament the end of April. Did it with a friend a couple years ago and had an awesome time. I wasn't in the tournament that time because I came along on short notice, but this year will be different. It's in Waterford.

Ballybunion Old and New, Adare, Old Head, Waterford, and maybe one or two others. Crossing my fingers nothing gets in the way of me going. Which reminds me, last trip over I used cigars as the absolute number one method of meeting and getting to know the locals. One beautiful lass oggled the Churchill I was smoking with what could only be described as envy. My buddy said later she asked if there was anything else I had like that, but I didn't hear her say that. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Greg