What's new

Hello, I must be going

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been on these forums, as Groucho, since CA's forum in 1995/1996. Always read this forum but never signed up until now. Hope to contribute finally. Living in South America since 2002, semi retired, working from home, travel a lot and purchase and age Cuban cigars(which is not part of my job).

Back in the early 90s I was a fan of Don Carlos #3 and Robustos, Cuba Aliados by Rolando Reyes in Union City. Also great was his Puros Indios line. I also liked Padron, the regular line. The 1964 Anniversarios and Maduros for me were just not as flavorful, I know, a rarity. Bahia Yellow bands were great that one year(1994?). Still have a few of those actually. Was a frequent shopper at Barclay Rex on Maiden Lane as I was working down town. Got into Cubans in 1995 while travelling in the Caribbean, France and Spain. Never looked back. Once in a while these days I get a Don Carlos or splurge on an OpusX (#3 or Robusto) but always did and still do prefer the DC more than the Opus. Out of every 100 cigars I smoke only 1 is a non Cuban.

Apart from mail order I am able to try and buy before purchasing by visiting local cigar shops, buying singles from boxes that they have more of (same box code) in inventory before buying the whole box. In 2014 I was in the Caribbean for the world cup and purchased awesome Partagas Serie D #4 MUL DIC 13 – were delicious right out of the box with only 7 months of age. Went back 2 months later and purchased more for a total of 8 boxes. For me 2013 was a great harvest/boxing year overall.

Try and buy in shops helps avoid buying duds but that happens. Also pricing is usually better mail order but you are always rolling the dice. As you all know quality has been much better these days but the issue is price and availability.

Lately all I’m buying blind is RA SS 50 cab, Serie D4, and an occasional Edicion Limitada that gets a good review from someone I know or from Halfwheel. Also I’m buying blind Cohiba: Siglo IV, V, VI, an occasional Siglo II and Robusto. Prices are through the roof. About 80% of all cigars purchased the past 3-5 years for me is Cohiba. I never thought that this would happen as there were always so many other brands that were equally as good for a third of the price. But as time goes on it’s hard to find any smoke better than a Cohiba, I hate to admit it.

Once in a while I try something not on the list above and find a gem and stock up on those. Recent surprises have been Por Larrañaga Petit Coronas.

Perfect size for me is 6.3” X 46-47 so a Corona Gorda is usually my go to size. Once in a while I want a Churchill but as time goes on I do just fine with smaller ring to length ratio cigars. The Cohiba Corona Especiales come to mind.

Lastly I’ve never had luck of any kind with any Montecristo. Had many #2s and 4s, Especial #2, 2001 EL Robustos. I have two boxes of Montie Sublimes H&F that I have not tried yet. Saw a Laurence Sautter video recently where they raved about these so maybe I might like these?

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Welcome!
Never understood the need to age a $20 cigar for three plus years before you enjoy it. This is coming from a Fuente fanboy. I stick to the Hemingway line. Sounds like you have the world by the balls as far as cigars go.
If HUHC were readily available, I personally wouldn’t ask for much more. Welcome to the forum!

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Howdy from Texas!

Phil Collins album!
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

BRB gotta return some video tapes.

:cool::ROFLMAO::D

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Howdy from Texas!

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

BRB gotta return some video tapes.

:cool::ROFLMAO::D
Watch out for those late fees.
And Be Kind, Rewind!

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Been on these forums, as Groucho, since CA's forum in 1995/1996. Always read this forum but never signed up until now. Hope to contribute finally. Living in South America since 2002, semi retired, working from home, travel a lot and purchase and age Cuban cigars(which is not part of my job).

Back in the early 90s I was a fan of Don Carlos #3 and Robustos, Cuba Aliados by Rolando Reyes in Union City. Also great was his Puros Indios line. I also liked Padron, the regular line. The 1964 Anniversarios and Maduros for me were just not as flavorful, I know, a rarity. Bahia Yellow bands were great that one year(1994?). Still have a few of those actually. Was a frequent shopper at Barclay Rex on Maiden Lane as I was working down town. Got into Cubans in 1995 while travelling in the Caribbean, France and Spain. Never looked back. Once in a while these days I get a Don Carlos or splurge on an OpusX (#3 or Robusto) but always did and still do prefer the DC more than the Opus. Out of every 100 cigars I smoke only 1 is a non Cuban.

Apart from mail order I am able to try and buy before purchasing by visiting local cigar shops, buying singles from boxes that they have more of (same box code) in inventory before buying the whole box. In 2014 I was in the Caribbean for the world cup and purchased awesome Partagas Serie D #4 MUL DIC 13 – were delicious right out of the box with only 7 months of age. Went back 2 months later and purchased more for a total of 8 boxes. For me 2013 was a great harvest/boxing year overall.

Try and buy in shops helps avoid buying duds but that happens. Also pricing is usually better mail order but you are always rolling the dice. As you all know quality has been much better these days but the issue is price and availability.

Lately all I’m buying blind is RA SS 50 cab, Serie D4, and an occasional Edicion Limitada that gets a good review from someone I know or from Halfwheel. Also I’m buying blind Cohiba: Siglo IV, V, VI, an occasional Siglo II and Robusto. Prices are through the roof. About 80% of all cigars purchased the past 3-5 years for me is Cohiba. I never thought that this would happen as there were always so many other brands that were equally as good for a third of the price. But as time goes on it’s hard to find any smoke better than a Cohiba, I hate to admit it.

Once in a while I try something not on the list above and find a gem and stock up on those. Recent surprises have been Por Larrañaga Petit Coronas.

Perfect size for me is 6.3” X 46-47 so a Corona Gorda is usually my go to size. Once in a while I want a Churchill but as time goes on I do just fine with smaller ring to length ratio cigars. The Cohiba Corona Especiales come to mind.

Lastly I’ve never had luck of any kind with any Montecristo. Had many #2s and 4s, Especial #2, 2001 EL Robustos. I have two boxes of Montie Sublimes H&F that I have not tried yet. Saw a Laurence Sautter video recently where they raved about these so maybe I might like these?
Man we could be twins :giggle: seems like you have good taste:happy: Welcome!!!