What's new

Help buying a pipe?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just got some random tin of pipe tobacco in the mail, and I've always wanted to smoke a pipe (hahaha), but I don't have one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an affordable pipe (<$40) for a pipe newbie?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
If you have a cigar + pipe shop nearby, that might be a good place to start. Often times they will have starter / basket pipes for new smokers. You might also consider a corncob.

If you have no local shop - try Mars Cigars. Mike Rutt is the owner and will treat you right. He has some inexpensive pipes + supplies.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to put a big investment into your new venture, try a corncob pipe. There are many brands out there but the best is Missouri Meerschaum. For about $4 or $5, you can have a nice looking and great smoking cob pipe that, with proper care, will last you many years. Then, if you like your newfound pastime, you can invest more $$ and begin a collection of more expensive pipes. Welcome to the Pipe Side!!

sgresso

Long hair Dork
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Start with a cob like Dale said. A good starter briar pipe is boswell pipes.
His site is http://www.boswellpipes.com/
I own about 14 boswell pipes and they all smoke great and the group there are awesome to deal with. I can also put together a starter package for you in the future if you would like just drop me a pm and we can discuss details.
as a pipe whore I can help ya on the other slippery slop.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree that to get started quickly a corn cob is a good option.

Sgresso is right about Boswells pipes, for an handmade pipe you can't beat them. Also their house blend tobacco's are great, I love their Bear Blend and the Berry Cobbler is fantastic (and I'm not a big aromatic fan).

If your travels ever take you to Gettysburg, PA its worth the 20 minute ride to Chambersburg to the shop. Lots of pipes and good people.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that to get started quickly a corn cob is a good option.

Sgresso is right about Boswells pipes, for an handmade pipe you can't beat them. Also their house blend tobacco's are great, I love their Bear Blend and the Berry Cobbler is fantastic (and I'm not a big aromatic fan).

If your travels ever take you to Gettysburg, PA its worth the 20 minute ride to Chambersburg to the shop. Lots of pipes and good people.
Yeah, I doubt i make it out to PA anytime, but if I do, I'll stop (and that Bear Blend did sound damn tasty).

tenuki

Maduro Maniac
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just smoked my first pipe this afternoon. Corncob (5 bucks), pouch of Captain Black (8 bucks). Wow, what a nice experience and so inexpensive. I know there are better tobaccos and pipes out there, but if this is all smoking a pipe ever is for me, it's still pretty darn good.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
start with something at the local B&M and if you enjoy the pipe for a few months then I would look into moving up for a Peterson, as those are my favorites and all I will buy.

Good Luck...I hope you enjoy the pleasures of the pipe!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Just so you know...Here on BOTL there is a whole section on pipes with lots of great info from some very knowledgeable brothers!