What's new

Help decided please

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Trying to find a few recommended sticks that would compare to the Monti #4. I'm new to the CC stuff and the only place I have ordered from and accepts MC sells by the box. It's real hard to decided what to order without a clue and then be stuck with boxes that I don't like. Thanks guys!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Montecristo #1
Montecristo #5
Petit Tubo

I wouldn't compare anything non-Monte as being alike, closest might be Trinidad.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Yes flavor would be most important. The only other one I've had are the Partagas D #4 it was okay but not my favorite. I guess flavor between the two would be best.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Flavor is different from brand to brand .

Just buy a box or two of cheaper 10 counts, and look to split or trade with a friend.

You also have to consider that much of what you buy (minus a few things) will probably need at minimum 6 months to a year, or potentially longer of a nap before it's hitting its peak. That's why a box isn't a bad thing.

Much of it needs rest or slumber, though they're getting better it seems.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Yes flavor would be most important.
It's hard to make a recommendation that will meet "tastes like a Monte 4." I'd suggest the Monte 2 perhaps? That being said, what flavors did you like from the Monte 4? Give us some idea of what you like, and we'll give you plenty of suggestions of other marcas you might like.

In addition, you're never "stuck" with a box of CCs. Find a buyer is really, really easy generally speaking.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Maybe this will help more. The #4 to me had an overall mild cocoa and spice flavor that I liked. I don't have any friends into cigars to share with and that's one of the reasons I joined BOTL. I've been going to some of the B&M shops but never make it enough to "fit" in yet.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mild Cocoa? Hmm. I get a sweet, semi-chocolate (though usually some caramel) from HdM Epi2s. Does have a bit of pepper, but not a ton.

They're also pretty good fresh in most cases.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
The recent Upmanns have been really good... you might want to look into the Connoisseur #1 or the Half Corona. You won't really get the cocoa flavor, but the Por Larranaga line is a milder, good cigar. Also look into Raphael Gonzalez as I've had a good box with a lot of cocoa IMO. You can also look into the Ramon Allones small club coronas... they will be a stronger cigar but you might enjoy the dark chocolate flavors that can come out.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Word on the street is that the recent Monte No.2's are smoking well. May be a good choice since you like the Monte 4 profile.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+1 on the Upmanns
The recent Upmanns have been really good... you might want to look into the Connoisseur #1 or the Half Corona. You won't really get the cocoa flavor, but the Por Larranaga line is a milder, good cigar. Also look into Raphael Gonzalez as I've had a good box with a lot of cocoa IMO. You can also look into the Ramon Allones small club coronas... they will be a stronger cigar but you might enjoy the dark chocolate flavors that can come out.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Thanks guys! Thinking my next order will have a few choices you recommend.
Monte 2 - one of my favorites.... sometimes. These can be hot or cold, but recent production has been stellar by all accounts.

Definitely agree with the RASCC, that's a great option. Similar size, great flavors

H Upmann puts out some fantastic cigars. Connie 1 and HUHC are must-try cigars!

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
So I want to sample some of the ones you guys posted but what do you think about buying in a 5 tin? Should I just buy singles or will the tins be okay?