What's new

help ID: strange icon

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
we got a new server at work, and a lot of my files now have this icon in the lower left corner:

it is the one enclosed by the yellow box. what is it?

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
my initial thought was that it must have been an updated version of the shortcut icon. but before the server move they were not shortcuts. I keep certain ones on my desktop that I don't store on the server. maybe when it was installed, it backed everything onto the server....shit I gotta dig those pr0n photogs out of there.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Looks like those point to document on the server. Usually arrows like that indicate the document has some sort of communication with an outside source.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
On a related note. Internet traffic will not be allowed where I work after 8:30am to noon, and after 2pm to 5.

What an annoyance. Its not even like I waste a lot of time being online. But I need to check my email or check a stock quote, maybe pay a bill.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea, I have a feeling it won't last. I do a lot of work where I need to check a competitor online, etc.

Especially the sales people at our company, all of the products they buy for our clients, they have to get information off the net.

Well, we shall see...

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Kingston said:
This icon indictates that this computer has the Offline Files feature of Windows enabled:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/learnmore/offlinefiles.mspx
http://cc.jlab.org/docs/services/windows/offline.html
This allows you to keep local copies of files that normally reside on a network share and automaticly synchronizes them when the network share becomes available
Pretty sure I'm just repeating what he said, but they had those icons on shit when I worked at my internship. I believe it just means that the file with that thing on it actually lives on a different server, which backs up your version every night or so in case you or your computer fucks something up.
:dunno:
Maybe just ignore what I said, cause I might be pulling it out of my ass.

TYLER