What's new

help identifying this pipe

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is the same shape pipe I bought yesterday. I can't find a picture of it though.

pic

Mine is black with a cream colored stem. It says Medico ebony imported briar on the bowl half and has a stamped? E in a square on the stem.

Any ideas? And why in the world are pipes so frickin expensive????? lol!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Medico is the brand name ... made by the SM Frank Co (also makers of Kaywoodie and YellowBole). I'm assuming they call it ebony due to the dark staining.

This is a fairly inexpensive, machine-made brand ... usually in the $15-$30 range. Was this a new pipe? What did you pay?

Pipes come in all price ranges, but they are made to last quite awhile and provide hundreds if not thousands of good smokes before requiring refurbishment or replacement. Just like any other tool or appliance. So consider that your initial purchase price, while somewhat signigficant, will be spread out over many years - so each use may cost only pennies.

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
tedski said:
Medico is the brand name ... made by the SM Frank Co (also makers of Kaywoodie and YellowBole). I'm assuming they call it ebony due to the dark staining.

This is a fairly inexpensive, machine-made brand ... usually in the $15-$30 range. Was this a new pipe? What did you pay?

Pipes come in all price ranges, but they are made to last quite awhile and provide hundreds if not thousands of good smokes before requiring refurbishment or replacement. Just like any other tool or appliance. So consider that your initial purchase price, while somewhat signigficant, will be spread out over many years - so each use may cost only pennies.

You're right Ted, it's a Medico. I bought this at an antique shop for $5. I took it to the local B&M today where they have a guy that does pipe repairs and he said I got a great deal on it. Yes, it's a cheap one but it should be good according to him. I guess the rest of the pipes at the antique store are good deals too so I'll be going back there as soon as I get some money. :)