What's new

Help me identify my first pipe!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a cigar smoker for two or three years now. Normally I live in New York, but I'm on my fifth month of a six month study term in London. A friend of mine back home is a pipe smoker, and I've always wanted to give it a try, but buying a decent new pipe is rather costly for a student. So one day while wandering about in a market in Greenwich I found an old lady selling old things, including an old pipe! It looked a little neglected and a little dirty, but hey, for £5 why not? So I've cleaned her up a bit and she looks nice. It's amazing how much nasty tar came off the stem and the band (which I thought was brass, it's not, it's a silver metal) and out of the airhole. Anyway, I was hoping you guys could help me figure out its age and what company made it. The only writing stamped on the side says "K&P. REJECT. MADE IN FRANCE." Now I know K&P could mean Kapp and Peterson, but they're always made in Britain or Ireland, no? Anyway, I'll see if I can post any photos here. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the poor quality photos. They're from a laptop webcam.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
To my knowledge, that is a Kapp and Peterson. They had some stamped "Made in France" (and these may have been made for K&P by someone, not sure who), they have MANY variations of "Made in England" and "Made in Ireland" .... some better pics could really help, if you can manage.

Welcome to the world of pipes!!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Peterson standard 312?

http://careysmokeshop.stores.yahoo.net/3000k.html

hard to tell with pictures

edit: stamp looks like a kapp and peterson. a brief history:

"A fact some of you may or may not know: Frederich Kapp opened a briar pipe shop in Dublin in the year 1865. He only made pipes to special order for the next ten years. In 1875, he took Charles Peterson as a partner though for the next several years, they continued to make pipes only when they had an order. Only after they perfected Peterson's System design, did they began making pipes to sell to the walk-in trade. Later, in the 1890s, they won a contract to furnish the British Army with pipes and from then, there was no ceasing of their growth and of their fame."