What's new

Help me pick my SD Blade

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Anybody in here interested in helping me pick out my carry knife? This will be intended for SD only, I already have EDC knives for day-to-day tasks.

Has to be under 4" is the only major concern. Technically, I should be looking for a folder... but I'm certainly open to fixed blades. In fact, my current front runner is an ESEE 3. Since I don't know blades that well, not sure which configuration of that knife - but I was looking at this one: http://www.knifeworks.com/ratcutlery...iedpommel.aspx

Less expensive is obviously preferred, but I'm willing to spend a little more for quality. Would like to keep this under 100 bucks.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're looking for a SD knife then folders should be scratched from the list imo, unless you go with a spring loaded type knife. Not to be confused with an automatic.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
If you're looking for a SD knife then folders should be scratched from the list imo, unless you go with a spring loaded type knife. Not to be confused with an automatic.
agreed a fixed blade knife will be your best chioce, and lot of good knives can be had for under $100 dollars. Remeber to try to look pass the hype some manufactures call a knife "tactical" make it look cool but once you get it your hand you realize it's more flash. So i recommend you try to get the knife in your hands so you get a good feel for the knife.

Another factor to consider is weight and concealability. Do you want something you can conceal or something riding on your belt?

some non concealable options

SOG Seal Pup Elite

Ontario RAT 5

Concealable

Cold Steel Counter Tac II

They're are a lot of other options out there, but these are knives that i've owned and can say they are reliable and will get the job done.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Love the idea of big ass folder. Preferably assisted opening if not trained you really don't want to get into a knife fight. So sound of opening may be enough. No mini barrage go full size. Benchmade make great jnives

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Ordered an ESEE 3. It's off getting a custom AIWB kydex sheath made at Dark Star Gear, and then it shall be on its way to me.