What's new

Help me understand....

Panicbound

Dankster
Rating - 99.1%
201   1   0
...why when everyone speaks of premium nc cigars, they always mention that they must be hand rolled.

I consider the Padron 64's and excellent premium cigar. I know that there are stigmas attached to machine pressed cigars, but I wouldn't call for examples the Padron 26 or 64 cigars to be non-premium.

Anyone?

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Machine pressed? I think you are confused on this issue ...

All "premium" cigars that I know of are all bunched, rolled, packaged, etc. by hand. Whether they end up with a square-pressed shape due to packaging them tightly in boxes does not matter - they are still 100% hand made.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
Machine made with short filler = Non premium
Hand made is as Ted says....long filler, bunched, rolled, packaged.
The press comes from they way they are boxed.
Most of the hand made NC's are still not considered "premium" by definition here. I don't know the exact list, but the Padron Anni's are considered premium.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I think you are confusing hand rolled with round.

Even though the Padron Annis are square in shape they are still hand made or hand "rolled".

Rolled does not equal round.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
A premium cigar, by definition, is handmade and in most cases, constructed with long-filler tobacco. It is 100% pure tobacco leaves throughout its construction. Unlike cigarettes or machine made cigars, they have no chemicals that are added that will keep them from drying out. Therefore, they must be stored at the correct humidity level to preserve its moisture content, or they will dry out and crumble.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
No problemo ... just don't ask how to blow square smoke rings with those Padron 64's.

(It's a secret :smokingco )

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
As far as official definitions go, I'd always thought:

"Box Pressed" referred to dress cab presentation; the cigars are slightly squared where they've been packed like sardines in a can.

"Square Pressed" referred to the process of squeezing the finished cigar into a square shape. The corners are actually very squared and te wrappers are pretty smooth from the press.

"Heche a Mano" does not necessarily refer to 100% hand rolled cigars; this is also used to refer to machine-bunched and hand bound and finished. A number of cigars called "hand rolled" are really machine bunched, and then binder and wrapper are applied the old fashioned way.