What's new

Help ... need an answer from my brothers... about filler... thanks

iphoneken1

OpusXAddict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been smoking for about 20+ years and believed that fillers were divided into 3 parts .. first 1/2 to 3/4 of the filler to be what the cigar manufacturer wants you to enjoy and the last 1/3 a lower quality mix of leaf. After speaking to an Ashton representative I was notified that it's actually length-wise of the cigar... therefore the smoke should be consistent throughout the cigar. The only cigar I ever smoke that is consistent from beginning to end is Opus X. Not even Padron '26 and '64 is consistent from beginning to end; it too gets peppery after the label. Anyone able to provide me some insight. Thanks in advance! BOTL ! Peace

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I am sure that the heat of the cigar affects the leaf a lot. the volatile compounds in the cigar change when heated, just like what happens when you sear a piece of meat. no scientific evidence to support this but it makes sense.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My opinion....assuming we are talking about long filler cigars made with only sound filler leaf here.

The bunchero and the method he uses has a lot to do with changes in the cigar from the beginning to the end. What elements he chooses from the 'break' or 'tear' and where he chooses/needs to place them in the bunch effects the ratio of different components at different points in the cigar.

Truth be told, short filler or sandwhich cigars are general more consistent from start to finish because the filler is already mixed and is fairly consistent as it is placed in the bunch.

It would be easier to show you than to explain, but to me...this is the major contributor to what intentionally or inadvertently changes the flavor profile from start to finish on a cigar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My opinion....assuming we are talking about long filler cigars made with only sound filler leaf here.

The bunchero and the method he uses has a lot to do with changes in the cigar from the beginning to the end. What elements he chooses from the 'break' or 'tear' and where he chooses/needs to place them in the bunch effects the ratio of different components at different points in the cigar.

Truth be told, short filler or sandwhich cigars are general more consistent from start to finish because the filler is already mixed and is fairly consistent as it is placed in the bunch.

It would be easier to show you than to explain, but to me...this is the major contributor to what intentionally or inadvertently changes the flavor profile from start to finish on a cigar.
Echoing this comment... plus it depends on the length of the fillers too... for example most Habanos are bunched with just a half break and with the tips placed towards the cabeza, while most cigar longfiller tripa bunches in Nica are broke at both the butt end which is placed as is from the rear and foot end placed with the tips forward due to the longer leafs we have to work with. Buncheros can backifill with just the higher or lower octane leafs and its placement can definitely impact the flavor... very tough to really explain well in words, something much easier to show than explain... come to Nica.

Also, in general cigars will almost always get stronger as you smoke them down... it is a combination of tar build up in the barrel and the fact that as the cigar gets shorter there is less of it to cool the smoke before it hits your palate.

One other side comment, remember the first 1/2 hit of any strong blend will often seem more peppery at first and then settle in for a bit... this is not because the cigar is stronger in the beginning, but rather your palate becoming accustomed to the profile... think of it like whiskey, you know how those first few tastes seems so much harsher than then rest of the glass yet you know that all that whiskey coming from that very same bottle tastes exactly the same.

BR,

STS

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
*standing ovation*
Thank you guys for being part of this community. Your insight is always valued and appreciated.
Here, here!!! Having successful industry people here really sets BOTL apart! Man, I learn a lot in this forum!!! Thank you, Mr. Saka, Mr. Oliva and ChiefHava, for taking time out of your busy days to help share your invaluable knowledge. Very much appreciated.

Last edited:

iphoneken1

OpusXAddict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask only the professionals! I see all your points as being valid. I am a scientist first (registered doctor of pharmacy) and was naively looking only at the filler being segmented; forgetting the physics of temp./ventilation/tar/cigar length/etc. I was under the impression, without being told or doing sufficient research, that all fillers were formed in the same manner .. thirds (beginning, middle, and end). And that the higher "quality" (Opus X, Padron, Davidoff, Cuban Behike/Cohiba) manufacturers would make the filler consistent throughout with the blend. Gent'z .. I thank you all for your time and appreciate our Brother Hood and of course the wealth of knowledge provided! As I say on Instagram ... Brothers_Share !!! Long Ashes and peace to you all! OpusX Addict! Thank you so much! Breaux